Hognose Question - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 04-07-2009, 08:35 AM
5 Star Member
Send a message via MSN to C4VEMAN-5AM
Default Hognose Question

Okay i dont know if this has already been asked, but here it goes.

I have heard somewhere that hognose snakes are venomous.

if so is it a dangerous venom or not?

Thanks its a pretty basic question, i just need to know.

Sam

Old 04-07-2009, 09:17 AM
Regular

i dont think its life threatining but i think it tingles where u have been bitten i htink this is right but if not sorry.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:02 AM
Premier Citizen

Depends on the individual I've been bitten with no reaction worse than a wasp sting, whereas others have swollen around the bite site and sometimes up their arms.

Most hognose bites are a glancing blow so to speak as they're rear fanged they need to chew a little to get you properly only problem is you don't feel much when they bite ---- well I don't lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2009, 10:08 AM
Ultra Citizen

As above.. some people dont react, while the other extreme is this:

hognose snake bite

Many people who keep hognoses treat them as a hot snake, just to be cautious.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:11 AM
5 Star Member

Alright thanks everyone, im not getting a hoggie now, their basically a mild dwa snake to certain people.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:05 PM
Postaholic Member

its only really bad if you have a reaction to their venom which doesnt happen often .. most of the time its like any other snake bite

as for treating them like hots :S i did dreadfully wrong .. i even put my hand in when it was being defensive (which if a hot did i wouldnt go near the thing :P) there not as scary as people make out but if you have a history of bad reactions to things like wasp stings and maybe ant stings then maybe not risk it
Old 06-07-2009, 02:00 PM
Premier Citizen

As above really. They are venomous and each person may react differently. They dont have a potent venom, i dont think anyone has died from it. They'd have to literally chew you to get any venom in. My hoggie has never bitten me and is so small anyway so i couldnt say what it feels like hehe.

GAZ HAS A BOA BED AND BREAKFAST AND I'M INVITED!!! Only proper lumberjacks will be accepted.

Pets = 1 chilli rose, 1 GBB, 1 Avic Purp, 1 Brachy boehmei

0.1.0 Common boa 66% het albino - Bo
1.0.0 Snow corn - Phoenix
1.0.0 Normal corn - Flyk
0.1.0 Lavender het motley corn - Kali

1.0.0 Rat - Barry
Old 06-07-2009, 02:17 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardwicki View Post
As above really. They are venomous and each person may react differently. They dont have a potent venom, i dont think anyone has died from it. They'd have to literally chew you to get any venom in. My hoggie has never bitten me and is so small anyway so i couldnt say what it feels like hehe.
Are they like most snakes though, and rarely bite unless attacked or threatend?
Old 06-07-2009, 03:04 PM
Ultra Citizen

Hognoses are the masters of bluff.. they mimic other species in order to ward off their attackers. They will hood-up, and strike with closed mouths. They will also, when they feel very threatened, play dead. I've seen one in the past roll onto it's back and play dead, and then when turned the right way up, roll back over to play dead for the second time! The have also apparently been known to musk and even excrete blood to be even more convincing as a corpse.

They have many lines of defence before biting. Because they are rear fanged, a quick tag should not be an issue either, as they need to chew in order to bring their rear fangs into play to administer their venom.

I do however stand by what I said earlier - personally I think it would be foolish to treat them in the same way as corn snakes.. they should be treated with a hot-like respect because of the potential damage they can cause.
Old 06-07-2009, 04:12 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantasam View Post
Hognoses are the masters of bluff.. they mimic other species in order to ward off their attackers. They will hood-up, and strike with closed mouths. They will also, when they feel very threatened, play dead. I've seen one in the past roll onto it's back and play dead, and then when turned the right way up, roll back over to play dead for the second time! The have also apparently been known to musk and even excrete blood to be even more convincing as a corpse.

They have many lines of defence before biting. Because they are rear fanged, a quick tag should not be an issue either, as they need to chew in order to bring their rear fangs into play to administer their venom.

I do however stand by what I said earlier - personally I think it would be foolish to treat them in the same way as corn snakes.. they should be treated with a hot-like respect because of the potential damage they can cause.
Thanks mate.