New bearded! - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 04-07-2009, 08:37 PM
Default New bearded!

Afternoon everyone,

Today I went out and got my very first reptile, a bearded dragon and found this forum which has so far been very useful! I purchased my dragon and viv etc from jungle phase in Hornchurch, Essex and just wanted to query you all with questions that have popped into my head over the course of the day.

She appears to have stayed in the hottest part of the tank for practically the whole day, apart from when chasing crickets, is this normal or should she be moving backwards and forth from the hot to cold area of the tank to optimize her temprature?? The 'habistat' temprature guage reads 86°F, should I increase the temperature, or leave it as the reptile shop told me to for this type of weather?

I purchased a 4', 18", 24" viv and currently am allowing the dragon who is arond 6 weeks old to have the entire run. Although the dragon isn't currently struggling to chase his food around and catch it, would it still be advised for me to partition the tank, allowing her to have less room?

She won't stop eating!! I have fed her twice today in the space of 7 hours around 10 small sized crickets and I have read arond where a lot of people said feed them as much as they can eat within 10-15minutes a day. Where as i'm sure this would be ok for most dragons, mine has a need to run about the viv like she's on crack finishing up to 5 crickets within a 30seconds to a minute of me putting them in. Is this normal and should I continue to feed her until the 10 minutes is up, or should I set her a limit each day?

Finally what can I add to my current set up to make it more 'interesting' for the bearded?

Sorry for terrible quality

Thanks to all who help, i'm sure i'll have more questions to ask as time proceeds.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2009, 08:50 PM
Regular
Default sooo beautiful

Am new to reptiles myself. So sorry I cant help with your questions but had to say your beardie is soo beautiful, and gorgeous.

Am jealous, have to wait haven't built my viv yet and not sure where to get my beardie from not sure about pet shops..

But congrats anyway, hope you get some answers to the questions though.

So cute
Old 04-07-2009, 08:56 PM
Oh God - not her AGAIN

Welcome! This may be your first reptile but I doubt it will be your last lol. Anyway I don't keep beardies but as no-one else seems to be replying atm here are a few pointers. Some peeps partition their vivs for baby beardies so that they only use say half of it til they're grown. This makes them feel more secure. I would be worried about the substrate you have in there for a baby as if they accidently eat some they can get impacted i.e. block their gut. Tiles or paper are less risk. Apparently they do eat like horses - feed as much as they can eat in 10 mins twice a day. Keep the heat on for at least an hour after the last feed so they can digest their food. Basking temperature should be about 110f. Ambient temp about 90f and cool end about 80f I think - sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Is there a uv bulb? Do you have a digital thermometer as temps are very important especially for a baby. You could add a few hides and artificial plants to the viv for interest. Not sure if they need a water dish - have to check that one. Hope you enjoy your new baby, Jools
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2009, 09:03 PM
Premier Member
Send a message via MSN to AuntyLizard Send a message via Skype™ to AuntyLizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1203 View Post
Afternoon everyone,

Today I went out and got my very first reptile, a bearded dragon and found this forum which has so far been very useful! I purchased my dragon and viv etc from jungle phase in Hornchurch, Essex and just wanted to query you all with questions that have popped into my head over the course of the day.

She appears to have stayed in the hottest part of the tank for practically the whole day, apart from when chasing crickets, is this normal or should she be moving backwards and forth from the hot to cold area of the tank to optimize her temprature?? The 'habistat' temprature guage reads 86°F, should I increase the temperature, or leave it as the reptile shop told me to for this type of weather?

Just make sure your baby has a basking spot of at least 110 f.. Is your thermostat placed in the cool end? If it is then leave it as it is as that is fine.

I purchased a 4', 18", 24" viv and currently am allowing the dragon who is arond 6 weeks old to have the entire run. Although the dragon isn't currently struggling to chase his food around and catch it, would it still be advised for me to partition the tank, allowing her to have less room?

It should be ok and I really would not partition it off as they grow at an alarming rate, before you know where you are your little one will have grown.

She won't stop eating!! I have fed her twice today in the space of 7 hours around 10 small sized crickets and I have read arond where a lot of people said feed them as much as they can eat within 10-15minutes a day. Where as i'm sure this would be ok for most dragons, mine has a need to run about the viv like she's on crack finishing up to 5 crickets within a 30seconds to a minute of me putting them in. Is this normal and should I continue to feed her until the 10 minutes is up, or should I set her a limit each day?

This is perfectly normal.. I feed my baby dragons 2 x a day live food one lot dusted the next not. Also make sure your dragon has a supply of veg available to it. grated carrot or butternut squash, rocket, spring greens and cress is all good.

Finally what can I add to my current set up to make it more 'interesting' for the bearded?

Set up looks good to me. I would avoid putting any hides in as they tend to get very possesive over them. Try putting some wood or rocks in there plenty of things for your beardie to climb on.

Sorry for terrible quality

Thanks to all who help, i'm sure i'll have more questions to ask as time proceeds.

Hi Welcome to the forum and of course the great choice in reptile lol... Under your questions I have answered in a different colour.

Liz

It's good friends that walk beside you through the good times and carry you through the bad.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:35 PM

Thanks for all the quick replys. By thermostat are you talking about the sensor that takes a reading of the temprature and adjusts it accordingly? If you do then I have it in the warm end of the tank, as that's what the reptile shop told me to do... Would I be better off putting it in the cooler end of the tank and taking readings from there?(and having a gaping hole, where I had to drill )

The sand I have in the bottom is 'calci sand' which I was also advised by the pet shop to be very 'suitable' for my bearded, due to the fact it was easily digestible etc. Would I be better off changing this for something else?

I have noticed that she is also shedding, should I leave her to do this naturally or soak her in a lukewarm water as I have read, although not sure if I should be doing this when I have only had her since mid-day today.

She is now asleep under her log
Old 04-07-2009, 09:42 PM
Hatchling

Quote:
Thanks for all the quick replys. By thermostat are you talking about the sensor that takes a reading of the temprature and adjusts it accordingly? If you do then I have it in the warm end of the tank, as that's what the reptile shop told me to do... Would I be better off putting it in the cooler end of the tank and taking readings from there?(and having a gaping hole, where I had to drill )

The sand I have in the bottom is 'calci sand' which I was also advised by the pet shop to be very 'suitable' for my bearded, due to the fact it was easily digestible etc. Would I be better off changing this for something else?

I have noticed that she is also shedding, should I leave her to do this naturally or soak her in a lukewarm water as I have read, although not sure if I should be doing this when I have only had her since mid-day today.

kitchen roll would be better or tiles for one of that age calci sand is really bad as far as i have read better to use play sand when they are 1 year plus or just stick with kitchen rolls / tiles
Old 04-07-2009, 10:13 PM
Premier Member
Send a message via MSN to AuntyLizard Send a message via Skype™ to AuntyLizard

Quote:

The sensor I have on mine is place mid way down in the middle of the viv and set at 89F if you place it at the cool end then it needs to be set at 86 ish F at the hot end it needs to be set at around 94F. Your basking spot needs to be at least 110F.

Please take your little off sand this can cause problems in babies such as impaction. I am not saying all babies put on sand with suffer impaction but it is a risk. You can use lino, astro turf, tiles or kitchen roll this is far better for your baby at this age.

Leave her to shed naturally she will do this on her own.. You can bathe her in luke warm water this will also aid her to shed.

Hope that helps. If there is anything else you would like to ask please dont hesitate to pm me.

liz

It's good friends that walk beside you through the good times and carry you through the bad.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:20 PM
Super Regular

Quote:

A thermostat is used to regulate the themerature of the tank. It will have an adjustable dial on which you set the required temp, your basking bulb will plug into in and it will have a sensor probe, which should be in the cool end. You need a "Dimmer stat" for a light emitting bulb (basking lamp, Spot light bulb etc). Most people have either the microclimate or habistat brand thermostats.

Also you will need a thermometer (preferably digital as they are far more accurate) in both the basking spot and cool end, to ensure you have the right temeratures. Temps should be 90-95f hot end, 105-115f basking spot and 80-85f cool end.

Calci Sand is the worst possible substrate for beardies, you need to remove this asap. Calci sand is not easily digestable, do a google search on calci sand and you will find plenty of (disturbing) pictures showing the results of using it. Alternatives are kitchen roll, lino, newspaper (make sure the ink is non toxic) or my preference Slate tiles (or other types of tiles, just make sure they are rough).

Unless she is having trouble shedding leave her to it, she should sort herself out in a couple of days.

Have answered your q's in different colour under each question.

Also congrats on getting a beardie, you'll have years of fun.

1.0.0 x Bearded Dragon (Loki)
0.1.0 x Chocolate Lab (Sadie)
Old 04-07-2009, 10:29 PM

I will replace thesand as soon as I wake up tomorrow mrning. I will also go out and purchase a couple of digital thermometers. For now I have changed the habistat temp to 92 as that's the highest the dial reads.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:43 AM
Hatchling

This is confusing me somewhat as I thought the dimmer stat went to the flourescent to control the ambient temp?
Do you need two ? one for flourescent one for basking light?
(don't worry no BD yet - still gathering info)
0.0.? Fish
0.0.2 Shrimp
1.2.0 Sprogs
0.0.1 Bearded Dragon (Mozart)