Advice for new chameleon owner - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 05-07-2009, 12:47 PM
Unhappy Advice for new chameleon owner

Hello - I bought my first chameleon who was about 8 weeks old. My viv set up is wooden with glass front 36" H, 24" W, 17" D. I have a waterfall, 60W basking light, and strip UV 5.0 light. I misted the viv a good 3 times per day, more when I could. I had him for 4 weeks and the poor chap died from dehydration. Where did I go wrong??? Or was he just poorly from the start. I have had conflicting advice on basking bulbs (ceramic or household), UV 5.0 or 10. Can anyone who is an expert give me some advice please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2009, 10:28 PM
Super Citizen

I think a 3ft viv is huge for a baby chameleon, would find it difficult to find and catch food, also is misting 3 times a day too much? How could it die of dehydration? did you get this confirmed? Unfortunately these things happen, although if you get another in the future i would say height is more important than length.
0.1.0 G. Rosea
0.0.1 Crested Gecko
0.0.2 Bearded Dragon
0.1.0 Emperor Scorpion
3 Albino Giant African Land Snails
Old 05-07-2009, 11:13 PM

hello.
sorry bout your cham dying. are you sure it died from dehydration. i have a dripper system, and mist once a day.
enclosure does sound bit big for a baby, i used a small fish tank first, then a exo terra 45x45x60, then when she was an adult upgraded to vivexotic ax36, with a little modifying for better airflow (replacing bits with mesh)
you sure he was eating fine, always best feeding by hand or hold a tub out for him so it can be monitered.
also was you dusting the food etc.
i use a ceramic bulb on a stat. but a household bulb can also be used as long as its on a stat and temps are good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2009, 03:23 AM
Ultra Citizen

When I kep Chams, I used a 5.0.
I don't know where you went wrong but the misting sounds fine to me, get a zoomed big or little dripper if your worried about moisture levels at www.livefoods.co.uk also get an aboreal viv in future if your to get another, you could convert your current one I suppose
Old 06-07-2009, 09:49 AM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie1e View Post
Hello - I bought my first chameleon who was about 8 weeks old. My viv set up is wooden with glass front 36" H, 24" W, 17" D. I have a waterfall, 60W basking light, and strip UV 5.0 light. I misted the viv a good 3 times per day, more when I could. I had him for 4 weeks and the poor chap died from dehydration. Where did I go wrong??? Or was he just poorly from the start. I have had conflicting advice on basking bulbs (ceramic or household), UV 5.0 or 10. Can anyone who is an expert give me some advice please.
I had the same problem. Luckily my vet is my next door neighbour. I misted my cage 3 times a day, had a waterfall too. As soon as the vet saw the waterfall, he said to get rid as it harbors bacteria.
My chameleon had stopped eating and drinking because he had become stressed due lack of hiding places and incorrect housing (must state that this was my first and was given as a gift so i was not that knowledgable). Also because the viv was to big for his size he couldnt catch his food.
To deal with the dehydration, the vet told me to make up a peadialyte solution and give it to him via a syringe/dropper. This worked a treat as it gave him the minerals and bits he was missing from the food and water.
I then went out and bought an aboreal viv (upright) with a nice new artificial plant with lots of foliage in, a mealworm dish, and a dripper. I still misted 3 times a day but found that if the water was slightly warmer than room temp i could spray it directly at him and he would come straight over and put his mouth against the sprayer and drink straight from that.
I never had another problem with him again.
I hope all goes well for you in the future
Old 06-07-2009, 12:13 PM
Premier Citizen

Sorry to hear about your cham.

R.I.P little one.

It could of had other underlying probs hun, and when buying really young babies it can be a bit hit and miss as you dont know what the pet shop where giving it to eat ie foods that where to big ect and if the parents of the little one had probs that could of been passed down.

Try not to blame yourself hun. I give my chams a good spray once a day just over the leaves not over the cham itself.

To be honest hun with out a vet determining cause of death which could be quite expensive you wont know the cause.

If you are going to get another one although babies are cute try go for something a little more established I have found this best when buying reps as I have lost a few babie reps for reasons unbeknown.

Sending you hugs hun hope you ok. x

Tags
chameleon advice