Really stuck! - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 05-07-2009, 03:31 PM
Super Regular
Default Really stuck!

Hey guys right this could be a long post, I'm completly new to keeping a tortoise, I've decided i want to get a herman, but im in a right pickle over what to keep the tortoise in, i don't know whether to get a wooden open box with a hide which is 19 ins x 24 ins x 5ins depth, it would have to go on my bedroom floor, but 1 i am worried that the tortoise would climb out, and im not sure on how long the tortoise could live in there (age and size wise), i also have 7 cats, 2 dogs and young siblings so im not convinced the cats wouldnt get it, I've also been looking at a vivarium which is the starter pack from this website, Welcome to the Tortoise Centre but im not sure wot size to get, but from seeing everyone elses pictures no one seems to have a tortoise in a viv, so im completly confussedd please helpp!!! x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2009, 03:57 PM
Postaholic Member

hiya the best bet would be to have it in a open tortoise box liek you 1st suggested

at the sizes you said im guessing youve seen one for sale and thats the size? and if it is pre made at a shop then it will cost quite a bit and i suggest making one and itll save you so much money

you will also need it higer than 5 inch high cause when the substrate is in and maybe a rock or 2 the tort could possibly climb out so try for about a foot high

you said you had cats and are obviously worried about them getting in
well if making your own table you could attach a wooden frame with chicken wire so the cats cant get in but the heat and uv can still get to your tort

have a look through the shelled section at the indoor and outdoor enclosures at the top and they have some really good ideas in there
Old 05-07-2009, 04:07 PM
Super Regular

Thats why at the mo im swaying more to a viv, cos it won't be able to climb out and the cats can't get it, and the place im buying it from there in vivs, and its a proper animal place that im getitng it from not a back street type thing, but then seeing those pictures no one has the in vivs, and surly it would b warmer in a viv than an open box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2009, 04:12 PM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmykins View Post
Thats why at the mo im swaying more to a viv, cos it won't be able to climb out and the cats can't get it, and the place im buying it from there in vivs, and its a proper animal place that im getitng it from not a back street type thing, but then seeing those pictures no one has the in vivs, and surly it would b warmer in a viv than an open box.
it probs is warmer in a viv but the reason people dont have them in vivs is because the ventilation isnt as good as an open topped enclosure and can lead to respiratory infections for the tort

also in an open topped enclosure you can get the temps right for the tort just as easily as a viv and the temp gradients will probably be more accurate ( example and by no means are the temps im recommending but just to show you what i mean) lets say the temp under the bulb needed to be 100 and the cold end at the opposite side of the bulb was meant to be 60 then with the open topped the temps cool down for this gradient easier where as in a viv the temp stays more in the air rather than more escaping (as i said the ventilaiton isnt as good)
Old 05-07-2009, 04:15 PM
Postaholic Member

oh before i forget if your not very good at building and things like that then you can also use a indoor rabbit cage (the ones that look like huge hamster cages) this comes with a wire top so this will also keep the cats out and is open topped
Old 05-07-2009, 04:16 PM
Super Regular

ooo thats makes sense now taa

this is the open top one i was looing at

viv/tortoise table/starter kit/house on eBay (end time 08-Jul-09 11:01:31 BST)
Old 05-07-2009, 04:17 PM
Super Regular

oo the rabbit cage is a good idea, but then i would have to buy all the uv light etc i wouldn't no where to start with buying everything it needs x
Old 05-07-2009, 04:23 PM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
oo the rabbit cage is a good idea, but then i would have to buy all the uv light etc i wouldn't no where to start with buying everything it needs x
well if you have a bank card then i know a good online shop that sells at good prices rather than buying from a shop www.livefood.co.uk

just look up what sort of things youll need i cant really say as ive got a shelf above my table to attach the lighting to so cant say what ive got but probs need a clamp lamp for the heat source
Old 05-07-2009, 04:27 PM
Super Regular

oooo i'll have to look into it thanks for your help!! i'm just trying to get as much advice etc to make sure i do everything right x
Old 05-07-2009, 04:29 PM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
oooo i'll have to look into it thanks for your help!! i'm just trying to get as much advice etc to make sure i do everything right x
post in the actual shelled section aswel for more info cause thats where the more experienced people are