Bearded Dragon Information - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 07-07-2009, 12:58 PM
Egg
Default Bearded Dragon Information

Hi All,

Am looking to get a bearded dragon, and have read lots of info sheets and the general info on Viv size is "the bigger, the better", but can anyone tell me ideally what sized Viv I should get??

Many thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2009, 12:58 PM
5 Star Member

4x2x2

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/equip...ade-order.html

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/lizar...nes-blood.html
Old 07-07-2009, 01:03 PM
Egg

Thanks Loobielou, much appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2009, 01:06 PM
5 Star Member

ur more than welcome and if u click on the links ive posted u can see the vivs we make and the beardies we breed.......
Old 07-07-2009, 01:10 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tory View Post
Hi All,

Am looking to get a bearded dragon, and have read lots of info sheets and the general info on Viv size is "the bigger, the better", but can anyone tell me ideally what sized Viv I should get??

Many thanks!
Are you planning on getting an adult or baby beardie?

Old 07-07-2009, 07:37 PM
Premier Citizen

Hey nice vivs, I'm after a 5x2x2 for my chap, do you send flat packed?

Hi Tory, while the 4x2x2 is ok for beardies, to light and heat it properly without the lights hanging down 10" from the roof, you need to use the more "specialized" bulbs, like metal halides or mercury vapour bulbs.

4x18"x2 is esier to heat as the spot light can be fitted to the roof. The two main problems with the 24" high vivs is that if you attach the spot to the roof it is so far off the floor that to get a good basking temp you have to have a very powerful bulb, (150watt), this is more expensive to run, and the extra heat generated to make the basking area some 115f from 18" away means the cool end can get too hot.

Then you have the problem of the uv tube, a beardie needs to be able to get to between 8" down to 2" from the tube, so if you mount the tube on the roof, it will be some 20" away, this is too far.

So the only option is to drop all the lights down on chains, so if you are going to do this you might aswell get an 18" high viv in the first place.

Here is a pic of my viv, it is 18" high, the lights are in an ideal position from the floor, and it is from the floor that you have to measure from

If you need more info on what I have said then let me know, and I will go into more detail

Jay
Old 07-07-2009, 08:25 PM
Regular

Mmmm understand the reasoning behind that but why do people always say 4x2x2 then?

Thought it could be rectified by using a raised basking area?

But as I am sooo new to the forum and beardies (not built vivarium yet) its all interesting.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:53 PM
Ultra Citizen

I have a 4x2x2 and although it took me a while to sort out temps i did manage it in the end, beardies like to climb on logs/ branches etc so in a 4x2x2 it doesnt look so crampedand there is a little hightfor climbing equipment
0.1.0 Lionhead
1.0.0 Syrian Hamster
0.2.0 Daughters
1.0.0 Son
click here for caresheets:-Turkistan Roaches , Bearded Dragon aftercare and mini-caresheet, Breeding Bearded Dragons
Old 08-07-2009, 01:10 AM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagananaka View Post
Mmmm understand the reasoning behind that but why do people always say 4x2x2 then?

Thought it could be rectified by using a raised basking area?

But as I am sooo new to the forum and beardies (not built vivarium yet) its all interesting.
People say 4x2x2 as a general rule, as a beardie ideally wants 8 square foot of floor space, however the hight is irrelevant, although beardies do like to climb, you have to consider them as ground dweling, so to this purpose you measure all temps from the ground, not from say 6" up off the floor.

To give you an example, if you have all the lights on the roof, then to get a good basking temp of say 115f, you will have to have a basking spot some 8" off the floor, so you now have an ideal temp for basking 8" off the floor and on lets say 1 square foot of the viv, the area on the floor next to the basking spot will prob. be too cold as it is another 8" away, and as for the cool end, it will be baltic

Then there is the uv, as I have stated, the beardie needs to get so close to the uv, he can touch it, now to do this in a 24" high viv with the light on the roof will mean some serious climbing material, and then we have the problem of, to get warm your beardie has to be in one small area of his viv 8" in the air, and to get usefull uvb, he has to be 18" in the air.

This means you have effectivly brought the total usable area of your 8 foot square viv down to a few square inches.

I don't see the point.

I'm not saying you can't use a 24" high viv, but as dynamos dragons said, it takes time and effort to sort out. And it isn't worth it, If you are going to use metal halides or mercury vapours, then you need the hight to use these bulbs, but for a "standard" setup, you are making a rod for your back, with no benifits to be had, your beardie does not need or want to climb more than 12" off the floor, unless he has no choice but to do so to get warm, or get some uvb

But don't take my word for it, check out this link;

Hades Dragons UK - Thermostats

Even Hadesdragons recomends 18" high vivs

Jay
Old 08-07-2009, 08:12 PM
Exclamation

24 inches intil it is 6 months and then move it to a 48 inch