need advice please - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 07-07-2009, 08:15 PM
Regular
Reviews: 1
Send a message via MSN to Lee89
Smile need advice please

hi every one the oh has just got me my first corn snake how long do i have to give her to properly settle in because the care sheets say a couple of days but some of my friends are saying a couple of weeks so im a bit confuzed plz help thanks

WANTED: Adult female corn ESSEX, PM me if you have one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2009, 08:18 PM
Ultra Citizen

i have always given my snakes around a week no matter what species and never had a problem ,always had them feeding
Old 07-07-2009, 08:20 PM
Forum Citizen

couple of days will do m8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2009, 11:47 PM
Ultra Citizen

Each snake is different. Some will settle enough to eat almost straight away. Others will take more time. The commonly given response to this question is to leave your snake alone for a week, except daily water changes - no handling and no feeding. If you are growing impatient, then you can always offer a feed and see what happens. It is really important that if your snake does feed that you leave it alone completely for 48 hours. Your snake will be digesting, and any disturbance can cause health issues. If your snake does not accept the first feed offered, then I would definitely put the snakes needs before you being keen to interact with it, and leave it comlpetely alone for a week to settle.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:03 AM
Premier Citizen

way to go chaps, the bloke is confused about how long to leave his snake, so he gets THREE answers, one week, a couple of days, and one week but if your bored, play with it anyway.

Well done people, that has really cleared it all up

Leave it for 7 days, if it does not eat, leave it for another 7 days, change water every other day.

Job done

Jay
Old 08-07-2009, 12:21 AM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba1967 View Post
way to go chaps, the bloke is confused about how long to leave his snake, so he gets THREE answers, one week, a couple of days, and one week but if your bored, play with it anyway.

Leave it for 7 days, if it does not eat, leave it for another 7 days, change water every other day.

Job done

Jay
As jay said hahaha
0.1.0 Lionhead
1.0.0 Syrian Hamster
0.2.0 Daughters
1.0.0 Son
click here for caresheets:-Turkistan Roaches , Bearded Dragon aftercare and mini-caresheet, Breeding Bearded Dragons
Old 08-07-2009, 12:51 AM
Ultra Citizen
Reviews: 5
Send a message via MSN to Nic123100

Hey, I'm the OP's other half. The little beauty is residing at mine, she had been in her hide since saturday when we picked her up, but today she has come out and started exploring her new home, so here come the first question, is this a good sign of her settling in?
Also we are not going to handle her until saturday but a friend suggested the OH putting his hand in the viv, not touching her but just placing it in there for her to get used to him, can anyone tell me if this seems right?

Just don't want to do anything to upset her, I'm trying to get the OH to do her water changes as I didnt want all the different hands and smells to upset her too much and he is round every day except one, am I doing the right thing? I have gecko's and a tortoise and this is the first snake so I am a complete noob apart from remembering what the care sheets have told me, just wanted some personal experience aswell to put my mind at rest
Old 08-07-2009, 10:16 AM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba1967 View Post

Job done

Jay
You've missed the point I'm afraid. It's very rare that you'll find a single "right" way to do something in reptile keeping. There are many husbandry methods that can work just as effectively as each other. The point of this forum is to recognise that one of the many methods may work best for an individual animal, and to hear a range of opinions so that you can weigh them all up agaist each other and decide for yourself what works the best for you.

If you are after a single definitive answer, then you should really just buy a book.. but again you are only getting a single viewpoint. I find the "job done" attitude a little arrogant if I'm honest.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:19 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantasam View Post
You've missed the point I'm afraid. It's very rare that you'll find a single "right" way to do something in reptile keeping. There are many husbandry methods that can work just as effectively as each other. The point of this forum is to recognise that one of the many methods may work best for an individual animal, and to hear a range of opinions so that you can weigh them all up agaist each other and decide for yourself what works the best for you.

If you are after a single definitive answer, then you should really just buy a book.. but again you are only getting a single viewpoint. I find the "job done" attitude a little arrogant if I'm honest.
Eh,

Jay
Old 08-07-2009, 01:48 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic123100 View Post
Hey, I'm the OP's other half. The little beauty is residing at mine, she had been in her hide since saturday when we picked her up, but today she has come out and started exploring her new home, so here come the first question, is this a good sign of her settling in?
Also we are not going to handle her until saturday but a friend suggested the OH putting his hand in the viv, not touching her but just placing it in there for her to get used to him, can anyone tell me if this seems right?

Just don't want to do anything to upset her, I'm trying to get the OH to do her water changes as I didnt want all the different hands and smells to upset her too much and he is round every day except one, am I doing the right thing? I have gecko's and a tortoise and this is the first snake so I am a complete noob apart from remembering what the care sheets have told me, just wanted some personal experience aswell to put my mind at rest
Hi Other half , Mr arrogant here again, if I may be so bold as to offer some more addvice.

What you could do is put your hand in for 2 minutes at a time, once a day.

Or put your left foot in, but only after 2pm, (never befor )

Leave a pair of Nic's soiled Reg Grundy's in over night.

Or bring him out to watch east enders with you, (but not the Sunday omnibus showing)

Not sure if this is enough options for you, I don't want Rantasam telling me off again

Sorry Rantasam, couldn't resist

On a serious point though, as pointed out by my new friend above, herp keeping is not an exact science, but there are some methods that work better than others, but it is a ballancing act of giving the safest practcal advice, whilest waying up the experience level of the person receiving that advice, in short if you are new to something than having too much info can lead to "confusion".

So back to your question, (by the way I am giving you this addvice after receiving it from my other half, who has been looking after snakes for over 10 years, and is the only person in the world who looks after the only captive population of the critically endanged Round island Boa ). The advice is the snake will pick up Nic's scent when he changes the water, this should be sufficient for now

Job done

Let us know how you get on

Jay