cat advice - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 07-07-2009, 10:39 PM
Regular
Default cat advice

ive recently rehomed a 12yr old cat who hates her belly being touched. think its because shes lost weight and got lots of baggy excss skin around this area. but obviously may also be something else in her past. i wanted some advice aboiut grooming her as as soon as you attempt to brush her belly she either bites or claws you to death. shes had problems in past with getting matted underneath and haveing to be knocked out at vets ant de-matted and want to prevent this happening again. any advice would be appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2009, 02:55 PM
Forum Citizen

Not sure what to say but some cats just don't like there bellies being touched, i
have 2 bengals and the Male loves having a good old tummy rub but Meuw my female will not have any of it and will bite you or scratch to stop you from doing it

I would just gain your cats trust first and just groom her without touching belly for a little while and then just gradually start doing a little at a time

good luck
1.0.0 Husband Tim

Soon to be grandma to Chilean Rose
Old 08-07-2009, 02:57 PM
5 Star Member
Send a message via MSN to C4VEMAN-5AM

Yeah thats normal most cats dont like their belly stroked, just stick to its head and back.

Old 09-07-2009, 06:54 PM
Hatchling

Well it's not about the excess skin there, loads of cats get that as they age.
Most likely, as you say she needs grooming, it is due to previous experience of people trying to yank a brush through the matts there.

Best you can do is to gain her trust by avoiding her belly. Groom her really regularly elsewhere and gradually as she trusts you more move on to her belly. If in that time she begins to matt I would even cut any knots out if you can rather than put her off the grooming process by having to tug at them. Hopefully you will gain her trust eventually.
Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikki21 View Post
ive recently rehomed a 12yr old cat who hates her belly being touched. think its because shes lost weight and got lots of baggy excss skin around this area. but obviously may also be something else in her past. i wanted some advice aboiut grooming her as as soon as you attempt to brush her belly she either bites or claws you to death. shes had problems in past with getting matted underneath and haveing to be knocked out at vets ant de-matted and want to prevent this happening again. any advice would be appreciated
0.0.? Fish
0.0.2 Shrimp
1.2.0 Sprogs
0.0.1 Bearded Dragon (Mozart)
Old 09-07-2009, 07:01 PM
Super Regular

my new rescue kitten who was basically beaten everyday, was petried of being touched, i just waited until he was ready, i sat in a room and let him come to me i didnt go to him, it took him about 5 months for him to let me stroke his tummy, wen he was lying down i used to stroke the side of him, and wen he got used to tht occasionally stroke his tummy but then quickly stroke his side after, and now he is completly fine, aslong as im the one stroking him tho.

hope tht made sense