Reptile Forums

Reptile Forums (https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/)
-   Newbie Advice (https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/newbie-advice/)
-   -   Hmmm..Decisons decisions.... (https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/newbie-advice/335989-hmmm-decisons-decisions.html)

cd78 08-07-2009 03:37 PM

Hmmm..Decisons decisions....

Hi Guys

Ok heres the deal...ive been planning on getting a Beardie at the W.Mids show in August. Ive bought a 3x2x2 Viv and a few other bits and pieces.

But now ive been reading about Crested Gecko's and i think i may have changed my mind on what to bring home from the show! These are amazing little fella's!:notworthy:

I think the 3x2x2 Viv may be a bit too big for my new house and im thinkin that a crestie may not take as much space...well not horizontally anyway!

Can anyone give me their opinion on this? any Beardie and Gecko owners?

btw this will be my first reptile!:2thumb:

pebbles 08-07-2009 03:53 PM

All I can say is the one you really want. I have a beardie and they are fantastic animals, I've never had a crested gecko so I can't comment on that one. Sorry I can't be any more helpful but i'm sure someone will be.

ToxicSiren 08-07-2009 03:57 PM

Well if you went for the beardie you would need to get a bigger viv eventually as they need 4x2x2 min for an adult. Cresties are great and dont take up much room. They need a 2ft high arborel glass viv as they are climbers. x

cd78 08-07-2009 04:05 PM

Yeah the size issue may be a problem...esp in the future.

Cresties seem to be much easier to look after too...no special temp requirements and dont eat as much live food..

Would welcome more advice?

ToxicSiren 08-07-2009 04:12 PM

You would still need a heat mat and stat to control temps tho. x

Captainmatt29 08-07-2009 04:21 PM

cresties need to be kept under 27c i think

Millie 08-07-2009 07:48 PM

Personally i would get the crestie, i love them. They are so friendly and take alot less space than a beardie. But its all down to preference. I will say never settle, get the one that you really want because if u dont u wont get so much enjoyment out of ur pet and probably end up getting the other animal in the end anyway :lol2:

Andi Mack 08-07-2009 08:05 PM

If space is an issue you'd be better getting crestie's.

Personally i'd rather choose a smaller animal & give it the best possible care, than get a larger animal and force it to live in a cramped environment.

Just my 2p's worth.

Fluffygirl 08-07-2009 08:23 PM

We have just recently got 3 crested geckos and 1 bearded dragon, and I can only comment on what they are like while young but our bearded dragon has so much more personality. I really like the cresteds and I know as they grow they should become more easy to interact with, as currently they are so tiny and fragile we can only have them out for a short period of time, where as our bearded will already happily sit with me and our son for a good 15 mins at a time and they are so funny to watch.

But it is easier to set up for a crestie and if size is a problem then its not really fair to get a bearded dragon as an adult will need a 4ft x 2ft x 2ft and so you need to factor in that you will need to get a bigger viv as they get close to a year in age.

They are both great pets and will provide lots of entertainment, the beardy more in the day and the cresteds more at night! :)

cd78 08-07-2009 11:23 PM

Thanks for the advice guys..2 cresties it is then methinks!

Think i'll have to put my 3x2x2 in the classifieds then!