Iguana taming advice - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 10-07-2009, 12:15 PM
Regular
Default Iguana taming advice

So I have had my Iguana (he is a baby) for nearly 2 months now and I am making progress with taming him but it goes like this:

1. He runs like mad in his cage and will not respond to me at all. (he lives outside in a 5ft by 5ft by 4 ft) 3 sided ply one side screened. I currently live in zhuhai, Guangdong China where the temperature is around 30 - 35 degrees and the humidity is like 65% to 80% so its perfect for an ig.
2. When he is finally out he calms instantly and he will just sit in my hand, on my shoulder etc, move around a little but totally under my control. Can pick him up no problem etc.
3. I spend like 3 or 4 hours with him each day handling him and just want to know how to progress so he won't see me coming into his cage as a threat...is there a method or will it just take time? I always take it very slow and approach him from one side etc. In fact when he is on the branch 9/10 times I can pick him up, the rest of the time its like a wild goose chase. Sometimes whipping and arching of his back to try and deter me.

Any advice for me and Hermes greatly appreciated, thanks

Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2009, 12:22 PM
Premier Citizen

Igs are mental. It has took me nearly a year to have mine hand feed he is a maniac. It just patience hun Ig needs to gain trust and this will take time. Try hand feeding hun I am now getting there with mine sloooooowly but surely.

I think it can take up to 2 years sometimes to tame an Ig you doing the right thing hun just dont give up you will crack the little beast one day.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:29 PM
Premier Citizen

thats fantastic progress for something so young!

my 3 year old still doesnt like me in his viv, he is fine out and about but his viv is HIS and he dont like anyone in there lol

I suppose its a territory thing, in your territory your the boss and in his territory he is!!!
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2009, 12:35 PM
Regular

thanks, I was worried I might be stressing him out loads and stuff (and was thinking of backing off for a bit) but it makes sense that he would protect his area.

I guess give it time huh, you can't rush these things!! They really are amazing animals

rick
Old 10-07-2009, 01:25 PM
Premier Citizen
Send a message via MSN to mahender

you defo getout what you put in,

have a search mate there are millions ( well lots ) of threads regarding taming, time and issues,.

good luck

You won't find it anywhere because there is no such thing, not if your intent is to take care of your iguana properly. - Melissa Kaplan

My seraphine has a fb page. search for seraphine patel.

IT SHOWS SUCH POOR ATTITUDE and IRRESPONSIBILITY TAKING ON THESE LIZARDS WITHOUT RESEARCHING (UNLESS RESCUING) AND EXPECT PEOPLE TO GIVE YOU ANSWERS TO THE PRE-REQUISITES YOU CAN CLEARLY FIND OUT BY READING THE SAME MATERIAL WE HAVE ALL HAD TO READ FIRST.