I'm new to this... - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 10-07-2009, 12:56 PM
Egg
Smile I'm new to this...

Hello,

I new to this site and to being a tortoise owner. I've just got a 2yr old female Horsfield/ Russian tortoise and i'm looking for some advice on bedding.

When we got her she was (and still is) on hemp bedding but after reading up on her breed i'm thinking of changing to some kind of sand mix. I was wondering if anyone else use this on a similar tort? i've read about something called bed-a-beast but can't seem to find anywhere that sells it in the UK - and have read from some peoples experience it can get kind of clumpy and stick to their feet.

Also i'm looking for a name for her - we originally thought she was a boy but the vet thinks she is most likely female so now i'm stuck for a good name!

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2009, 04:55 AM
Regular

50 sand 50 top soil I say, can't go wrong.

I have a tropical tortoise (elongated) and I keep her on the same and she's happy.

I compact it down and sink a bathing pool in at one end and some slates (etc around it and to help avoid sand/mud going into the water) for claw wear and tear. A hide box is positioned at the opposite end to the water to initiate some exercise etc. Every night if she isnt back in her box I place her in it to train her to sleep there.

hope that helps. the main thing that i have found that seems to differ between tortoise species is diet and temps. habitat set up and substrate seems be quite general across the board. but check the tortoise trust website, its excellent.

Tags
bedding , names , russian