setting up a Habitat Thermostat - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 11-07-2009, 03:43 PM
Smile setting up a Habitat Thermostat

I have just bought a small King snake which is 14 inch long and keep it in a 16 inch log viv. I am using a heat mat which was part of a starter pack and have just purchased a Habitat Thermostat. I placed the sensor in the cool end end wondering what to do with the settings. Is it more important to have the hot side at 84 -86f or ensure that the cool side is set for 74 -79f ? Also,do I need to cool in down at night? I could put it on a timer to knock of to fall to room temperature for five hours or so during the night.
Kind regards,
Rob

Last edited by Robt; 11-07-2009 at 03:47 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2009, 06:04 PM
Premier Citizen

Personally I put the sensor in the warm end to ensure the maximum temperature is controlled. A night time drop is preferred but not essential. By knocking the heating off completely the snake can get too cold if the room does not have heating. I'd leave it on. Use a digital thermometer to get the temperature right - don't rely on the settings on the thermostat.
Graham.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:10 PM
Banned

like they saidd ^^ put it in the hot end. A heat mat doesn't heat the entire viv, just its immediate surface so if you put the thermostat in the cool end the hot end will keep rising and rising.

If it's a bulb / ceramic / AHS then you can put it in the cool end as they heat all the viv.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2009, 07:40 PM

Thanks for the advice guys.I have moved the sensor to the hot side and set it to 86. I think these starter size viv's soon heat up, since I put the sensor in I have hardly seen it on. It must have been quite warm before being on constantly.
Old 13-07-2009, 08:54 AM
Ultra Citizen

Hi.

Don't rely on the temperature markings on the thermostat's dial. They are almost always incorrect - they are on every single one of mine. By this I mean that if you set the dial to 80'f, then this doesn't ensure that the temperature in the viv will be 80'f.. the dials just aren't accurately calibrated on what are relatively cheap thermostats.

What you need to do is buy a digital thermometer. You can pick these up off ebay for a few quid. Place the probe of the thermometer in the warm end under/over the heat source and then see what the reading is. If it's higher than you are aiming for, then turn the dial on the thermostat down a fraction and then leave it for 20 mins before repeating the process. The thermostat dial should be used in this "up a bit, down a bit" manner, and will result in an accurately controlled temperature. But just don't rely on the temp scale printed next to the dial - they lie.