My new corn snake - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 11-07-2009, 04:38 PM
Forum Citizen
Default My new corn snake

We picked up our Corn Snake this morning and s/he is lush! I am very happy. S/he is next due food on monday so cant wait to have a go at feeding her/him. Just a couple of quick q's, s/he is in an exo-terra 2ftx1.5x1.5, currently only using a heat mat for heating and her warm end is around 82.6f, there is a ceramic bulb installed but it seems warm enough without it and i dont realy want to run the ceramic unless we have to. S/he is said to be around 8 months ish so have put bottled water in her dish as read on a care sheet that they shouldnt have tap water til a year old? Is this right? S/he is lovely to handle seems as i've never held a snake before and am always frightened of dropping or hurting things so am very pleased. Thanks to everyone who replied to my earlier posts on corn snakes
1.0.0 Crested gecko.(cb11) Charlie
2.1.0 Mad Children- Timothy (CB06) Nicholas(CB07) Abi (cb11)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2009, 06:25 PM
Gold Star Member

Hi!
All seems ok, temp a bit on the cool side I's say......but I would avoid handling for about 5 days. Give the 'lil guy time to settle in. Try to only go in to give fresh water and clean up as necessary. It's a real temptation to handle early, (I know, I'm fighting the urge myself with our new addition!).

lisa

Click The Button For Our Personal Facebook Page

Old 11-07-2009, 09:46 PM
Super Regular

You need to get a reptile water conditioner to remove the harsh chemicals from our tap water, dont worry very cheap as it lasts for ages!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2009, 07:19 AM
Forum Citizen

Ok thanks will have a look for one later when i go out. the temp raised up to 85.3 afterwards so bit better i guess.
1.0.0 Crested gecko.(cb11) Charlie
2.1.0 Mad Children- Timothy (CB06) Nicholas(CB07) Abi (cb11)
Old 12-07-2009, 10:47 PM
Hatchling
Default corn snakes

I'm a newby can anyone recommend a book for caring for corn snakes ?
Old 12-07-2009, 10:54 PM
Super Regular

'Corn Snakes The Comprehensive Owners Guide' by Kathy and Bill Love! Published by The Herpetocultural Library.
Good book but most of the info you can get off the net!

Old 12-07-2009, 10:59 PM
Hatchling
Smile

Thanks i will check that book out. I worry sometimes about advice on the net as it can vary alot.
Old 13-07-2009, 12:04 AM
Super Regular

Your not wrong there!
We view as many care sheets as we can find and then take a middle ground on the whole! Seems to work quite well! if there is anything i can help with, give us a pm!

Old 13-07-2009, 10:05 AM
Ultra Citizen

Yup, just to second that advice - the Kathy Love book is biblical, well worth a read.

And in the spirit of conflicting advice (as mentioned above), I've only ever used tap water for my snakes, and I'm inclined to think water conditioners are much better for the shop's revenue than they actually are for the snake.

You'll often come across conflicting information on this form - and with good reason. There isn't always one single 'correct' way to do things. Different approaches in rep keeping can be just as effective as each other, what you have to do is weigh up the strengths of the arguements for and against a particular aspect and then make your own mind up about what you want to do for your snakes.

Here's a recent water-based thread to illustrate the point.
http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/snake...d-treated.html
Old 13-07-2009, 01:47 PM
5 Star Member
Send a message via MSN to C4VEMAN-5AM

Heres a point.

If you leave water for a while to declorinate soemtimes it can become a breeding ground to bacteria because theres no chlorine.

Just use water straight from the tap, chlorine doesnet harm snakes.

But if you do want to leave it leave it only for a day no longer to de chlorinate.