bearded dragon day to day - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 11-07-2009, 08:09 PM
Super Regular
Default bearded dragon day to day

hi evey one i finally got my bearded dragons today after looking into this since last november!

got a lovely little pair from c c moores in weymouth big thanks to chris who works there who has been awsome in helping me out!

i was just wondering i'v been reading books been on here most every night for the last couple of weeks but i cant help feel unsure about a few things.(ive read so much now i cant decide on a million things haha! was just a few day to day questions to put me at ease)

i realise when you recently move them to a new viv they take a while to get used to it, theyve fed well but i cant catch 3 little circkets that theyre not showing much interest in,

will this cause much of a problem or will they be ok over night/ untill theyre eaten?

also i have a ceramic bulb set up yesterday the original 150w died, but the shop gladly replaced it with a 100w as the 150s were out i will be getting a 150 in the week though. i have a 4x2x2 viv this should be ok untill i get a 150 right?

currently on my exo terro thermometer placed in the middle of the tank, in the lower quarter hight wise. its reading around 30c is this ok? as i also have my habistat thermostat set around the 30 mark. eventually i will upgrade to a digi thermometer any recomendations.

and also as far as watering these little guys is it best to spray them weekly?, iv left them a nice shallow water dish if theyre interested.

and really if any one has any more general advice i would really appreciate it.

and dont worry as soon as i figure out how to use my other halfs camera there will be pics of my dragons theyre viv and a fake rock project!

thanks i hope i will beome a good member to the forum and i would be happy if you guys show my little beautys a quarter of the love i feel for them thanks so much james.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2009, 08:21 PM
Forum Citizen

Hiya, congratulations on the new babies! Will look forward to the pics!

We have a 9 week old bearded dragon and I know where you are coming on from the whole ammount of conflicting advice you get when you are researching one!

I would really try to remove the crickets as the bearded dragon won't hunt at night and although it won't cause major problems I would have thought, you do hear horror stories about crickets and as they are babies I would very much try to remove them, just in case!

A 100w should be absolutely fine, in fact we have had a 100w in ours and just downgraded to the 60w as the heat given off by the 100w went up too quickly and as we measure the basking spot was getting up to 60 degrees centigrade before cooling back down in the mornings. The 60 seems to be much better at the moment - slower rise in the morning but maintaining temps during the day - although we are still doing tests to see what the cooler end of the viv measures in temp. (we have a 4 ft viv too).

A digital thermometer is a must - the dial ones are not too accurate and can be up to 10degrees out. You can buy cheap ones on ebay which will do the job fine - we brought one with 2 sensors on so we could measure the basking spot and the cooler end - it was less than £10.
You do need to measure the basking spot ideally getting a temp of 110 -115 degrees fahrheit for a baby.

We have been told not to spray our bearded as most of the water they need they will get through their food. There is a good sticky in the lizard forum about this. Although it is a contriversial (sp!) subject and there will be lots of different advice! :p

Hope this helps and I haven't confused you even more!
Old 11-07-2009, 08:22 PM
Super Regular

get the hoover out to get rid of them crickets if you cant catch them

Old 11-07-2009, 08:57 PM
Super Regular

thanks for the help i found one half eaten and no sign of the others glad now just found one climbing about 3/4 of the way up his fake plant and the others just scaled his huge piece of wood

thanks guys and do you all lower the temp at night time was just wondereing is it better to just turn the uvb off and leave them to it
Old 11-07-2009, 09:06 PM
Forum Citizen

Our heat and light goes off at night, as the temp can drop to about 18 degrees centigrade and the beardies are happy with this. So it depends what temp the room you have them in drops to. We have a heatmat in place for winter just to add a little extra heat if needed (its on its own thermostat). In the wild obviously they have a large drop at night so this seems to be best for them in captivity too.

Another thing I forgot to mention - have you got calcium supplements and nutrabol to dust the crickets? We do weekday feeds in the morning with calcium and weekend feeds with nutrabol in the morning!
Old 11-07-2009, 09:11 PM
Super Regular

yep got the suppliments, dusted some veg but these little things are killing machines im gonna dust the morning feed tommorrow so i know theyve had some ok well my rooms in the attic its quite confusing temp wise its either stupidly hot or cools down i think il lower the habistat but keep a little heat just in case
Old 11-07-2009, 09:15 PM
Forum Citizen

How is it you are heating the viv? As the shouldn't have light at night, so you would either need to buy a ceramic or use a heat mat I think.
If you are heating with a spot bulb it would be better to turn it off.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:20 PM
Postaholic Member

Viv needs to be turned off at night. Providing the temperatures don't go much lower than 70* (UK Summer - now is fine).

Winter will need an additional heat at night time, ceramic heat emitters are a good source .
Old 12-07-2009, 10:32 PM
Super Regular

yeah im using a ceramic heater at the moment but im out shopping tommorrow to hopefully get a digi thermometer and a larger bulb (150w)i just want to make sure the temps are ok as my little ones seem to like being perched up in theyre fake plants im not sure if this is becuase of heat rising or them just liking it up there i think theyre settling in ok at the moment they didnt eat too much today only a few crickets but i will give them another shot in the morning
Old 16-07-2009, 06:54 PM
Super Citizen

Hi James, glad your 2 Baby Bearded Dragons are settling in ok and nice to know you are on this forum.
Hope to keep seeing you at CC Moores,

Good luck with everything Chris (from cc moores, Weymouth)