Hi... new to forum & snake husbandry - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 11-07-2009, 09:58 PM
Smile Hi... new to forum & snake husbandry

a funny thing happened to me just a week back... I became a snake owner.

I was not forced or coerced. It was not premeditated either. My cat found him, in my garage. He was growling at a point near where I keep a large coiled extension lead. I lifted it and shook it... and out fell this little fella.

I'd never seen a snake in the UK before but recognise the few indigenous species and knew this wasn't one of them. I kept him in that tupperware dish, popped him in my rucksac and made off to the vets on my zzr1100 – probably the fastest snake in the UK. Vet couldn't identify him.

Through enquiries online I discovered he was indeed a Corn Snake, indigenous to SE & Central USA.

Well I'll be!

I decided to keep him... as he'd undoubtedly perish in our temperate climate, and after just some basic reading & research made him this juvenile viv.

He has drunk from the bowl while resting in my hand, and had no hesitation in taking his first pinkie

It seems now he is about to shed...

... and to top it all, a photo I took of the full moon the other night turned out like this...

If you'd said to me 8 days ago I'd be a keeper of one of the constrictor family I'd laughed right out, but here I am, just a week in and reveling in the experience. I feel privileged, even.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2009, 10:07 PM
Forum Citizen

Wow what a unexpected thing to find in your garage!

Well its looking good and not too worse for wear after its adventure!

I would never have considered being a reptile owner - we got our first corn in April, now have 2 corns, 1 bearded dragon and 3 crested geckos, they are addictive!

Only thing I would say is that I would be careful having it in one of those containers - it doesn't look like the lid clips down at all and while it may be ok now, as it gets bigger (which they do surprisingly quickly!) it may well be able to push the lid off. We use RUB's for ours when they were smaller, (search really useful boxes).

Old 11-07-2009, 10:18 PM

WOW... what a houseful! Cheers Fluffy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2009, 10:28 PM
Premier Citizen

thats definately a corn snake (great begginer snakes) and nice one too. well done mate, bit worrying the vet couldnt identify?
Old 12-07-2009, 12:54 AM

editted

Last edited by boidae; 12-07-2009 at 01:15 AM..
Old 13-07-2009, 09:08 AM
Ultra Citizen

A great story and well done for taking him in. He certainly seems no worse for wear after his travels!

One small point, I would move the heat mat so that it is fully-under the plastic tub you have there. You ideally want 1/3 to a half of the base of the tub covered.

Also, I've just noticed that at the moment you don't appear to have a thermostat attached to the mat. In the worst-case scenarios, it can result in burns like these:

A cheap matstat will do the job of maintaining the correct temperature for your little fella. It's also a good idea to get a cheap digital thermometer so you can actually see what temperatures you are providing and set the thermostat accordingly.

A good cheap stat (£17.50): Triple 8 Reptiles - Microclimate On/Off Thermostat MINI STAT 100

Digital thermometer (loads on ebay, just an example): DIGITAL THERMOMETER **** FAST POSTAGE **** on eBay (end time 08-Aug-09 08:44:27 BST)

Sorry if it feels like I'm jumping on you. There are just these small changes I think you need to make to the way you are looking after him to make sure he stays safe and healthy. I think it's very impressive that you've took on the care of your garage-squatter. Many people would probably have been reaching for the spade! Good luck with him, he seems in great health and I hope he brings you much happiness.
Old 13-07-2009, 01:03 PM
Default ....

... brilliant, thanks rant
Old 13-07-2009, 03:02 PM

cant belive the vet didnt know what it was. i mean isnt this one of the most common snakes because its a good starter?
Old 13-07-2009, 05:11 PM
Regular

Wow, what a find! Your a bit brave picking up a snake if you didnt know what it was..for all you know it could have been a killer Just one thing, I wouldnt have the entire heat mat under the tub, just leave a very small area for the lil snakie to go if he gets too hot on the heatmat Good luck!
Old 13-07-2009, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamaeleo View Post
cant belive the vet didnt know what it was. i mean isnt this one of the most common snakes because its a good starter?

You'd have thought so.