another heating question - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 12-07-2009, 11:22 AM
Super Citizen
Default another heating question

iv just lost a baby royal so want to make sure things are right for my boa.
its a female dwarf boa, is abbout 22 inchs long. iv set up a 18 litre rub for her as she didnt like a 2 ft viv, but, as im only using a uth, how do i set it up, iv been told 92 basking spot 88 ambiant warm and 78-80 on the cool side.
my question is how do i set a basking spot with a uth? i dont want to set the temp at 92 with the sensor in the warm hide, or do i? as the uth doesnt heat up the air how do i get an ambiant air temperature in a plastic rub with out using bulbs etc.
so with the temp probs unde each hide, do i set 1 thermometer at 92 warm hide, 78 cool hide. or should i take the air readings, meaning the floor temp will be much more.
i know its a noob question but i just need confirmation.
if i make sense.
thanks.
neil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2009, 08:08 PM
Super Citizen

no one?
Old 12-07-2009, 08:16 PM
Regular
Reviews: 1
Send a message via MSN to Lee89
Smile

if you want advice on this problem post a thread on the snake classified page ul get a reply realy quickly m8

WANTED: Adult female corn ESSEX, PM me if you have one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-07-2009, 09:39 AM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpfb View Post
iv just lost a baby royal so want to make sure things are right for my boa.
its a female dwarf boa, is abbout 22 inchs long. iv set up a 18 litre rub for her as she didnt like a 2 ft viv, but, as im only using a uth, how do i set it up, iv been told 92 basking spot 88 ambiant warm and 78-80 on the cool side.
my question is how do i set a basking spot with a uth? i dont want to set the temp at 92 with the sensor in the warm hide, or do i? as the uth doesnt heat up the air how do i get an ambiant air temperature in a plastic rub with out using bulbs etc.
so with the temp probs unde each hide, do i set 1 thermometer at 92 warm hide, 78 cool hide. or should i take the air readings, meaning the floor temp will be much more.
i know its a noob question but i just need confirmation.
if i make sense.
thanks.
neil
Under tank heating, or heatmats as they tend to get more commonly referred to on here is a compromise. You are right - they don't heat the air and they don't heat the cool end! They are however, pretty much the only option you can use with a rub, so the important thing is to set them up in the best way possible.

If you have a heat mat covering half(ish) of the rub, then you don't get an option of 'basking spot', 'ambient' and 'cool end' temps. You just get 'warm end' and 'cool end'. That's all you have to work with, so you need to ensure that the range of temps between these two areas still provides as close to your boa's requirements as possible. If you set the warm end to 90-92'f (there will likely be some fluctution with an on/off thermostat) and ensure that the cool end doesn't drop below, say, 75'f then you should be fine. Just make sure there are hides at each end and at the mid-point so your snake can thermo-regulate securely.

The perfect way to house your snake would be in a wooden viv with ceramic heating (my opinion only of course!). Ceramic would give you ambient air heating, and heating (but to a lesser amount) in the cool end as well. You are much more likely to achieve correct temperatures going down the ceramic route. Your snake would happily move in to a wooden viv at 22 inches. I don't know which type of dwarf you have, but if she maxes out at 4-6 foot then you could even consider buying the viv size that she will ultimately live in and putting her in there now. As long as there are enough hides then she should be happy enough.
Old 13-07-2009, 12:46 PM
Super Citizen

Thats the sort of reply i like, spot on mate. Problon i got is my baby is just recovering from a regurge so untill shes regular i need to keep her in her rub. Iv got a 2x1.5x1 viv set up but i dont want to scare her into not eating.in there is red bulb, mat and dimmer stat. Just need to decrease the ventilation abit to get the humidity up. But could i get a 4ft and put her in? How would i do it, leave 7days after feed so its digested, then miss the feed to swap her then 7days to settle? Or could i feed and move her on the same day? Thanks for that. Neil
Old 14-07-2009, 09:18 AM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpfb View Post
Thats the sort of reply i like, spot on mate. Problon i got is my baby is just recovering from a regurge so untill shes regular i need to keep her in her rub. Iv got a 2x1.5x1 viv set up but i dont want to scare her into not eating.in there is red bulb, mat and dimmer stat. Just need to decrease the ventilation abit to get the humidity up. But could i get a 4ft and put her in? How would i do it, leave 7days after feed so its digested, then miss the feed to swap her then 7days to settle? Or could i feed and move her on the same day? Thanks for that. Neil
Hi again.

Do you have any ideas about what caused the regurge? Common causes are not leaving enough time between feeds (at least 5 days is the minimum I would say), not having enough heat in the warm end of the viv or trying to feed a food item that is too big. I don't know if any of these will have affected your snake's regurge though.

It sounds like the other setup you have waiting is fine. You should hopefully be able to get the correct temps by just using the heat bulb on it's own too.. normally just a single heat bulb (infrared or ceramic) is sufficient. Also, I wouldn't be concerned at all about raising humidity (presuming your dwarf is somethign like a Hog Island or a Crawl Cay, and not a Rainbow something-or-other). The care of dwarf boas is pretty much the same as commons, and humidity should only need raising around shedding time - and this can be achieved by spraying the tank twice a day.

I don't see any problems with putting a 2 foot snake in a 4 foot viv at all. It's not overly-big and a few hides dotted about will make her feel secure. Personally I wouldn't worry about moving a snake while they are recovering from a regurge - as long as you are sure the temps in your new viv are spot on and stable for a couple of days before the move. The important factor is enabling your snake to recover from the regurge is how long you leave it before feeding her again. She will need to replace a large amount if digestive fluids she lost, and also re-establish her gut culture. I would leave it 2 weeks before offering food again. In the mean time I'd add avipro or reptoboost to her drinking water. When you do offer the next feed, offer a mouse a couple of sizes smaller than you normally would.
Old 14-07-2009, 12:21 PM
Super Citizen

hi. I have a dwarf pastel fusion boa. The regurge i think was due to putting her in the viv 48hrs after a feed, which was 12days ago, i was going to feed thursday but her eyes are starting to mist now, so will have to wait for both. The viv temps were ok but it has a strip of mesh ventilation at the top at the back leaving about 30percent humidity. But when i do move her should i miss a feed to give her time to settle(being 7day scedule). Im going to let her get 3/4 feeds in before i move her. Then instead of using my viv il get a 4ft so i dont need to move her again. Does all this sound ok? Thanks for your time. Neil
Old 14-07-2009, 08:02 PM
Ultra Citizen

That all sounds fine. Maybe a slightly large water bowl, or moved a bit nearer the heat source will up the humidity a bit. There's nothing wrong with offering a feed once you have moved her. Some snakes will take it in their stride (crawl?) and eat anyway - just be aware that if she isn't showing immediate interest then leave her to settle for a while rather than keep waving it in her face.

Having said that, if she's 2 foot and in good condition now, she could miss many months of feeds before it becomes a health issue so missing a couple while she settles in wouldn't be a problem either.
Old 14-07-2009, 10:09 PM
Super Citizen

shes got a good feeding record so far, unlike my royal. she has had 8 feeds since 2nd/5/09, she seems fine to me.
so il let her shed, feed her a cpl feeds whilst i sort a decant size viv then swap her over.
i really apprieciate the help, as you were the only person to give a good reply.
should help some other maybe aswell
thanks.
neil