cb cr and bumping? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 12-07-2009, 03:53 PM
Egg
Default cb cr and bumping?

im new to this site, i keep seeing cb,cr, and bumping on classifieds! what do they mean anyone know? sorry if its a dumb question
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2009, 04:24 PM
Premier Member

hi welcome to RFUK
cp = captive bred
cr = not sure possibly captive reared
bumping = posting to 'bump' your thread to the top of the list ........ original posters are only supposed to bump a thread once every 24 hours

Leopard Gecko and AFT Information, Care sheets, Health, Behaviour and much, much more.

*I'm a short, plump, grey-haired Grandmother ..... NOT a fella*
Understanding Leopard Gecko Behaviour
Research and read before you buy and breed!

Old 13-07-2009, 09:25 AM
Ultra Citizen

Absolutely as above.

Just to elaborate slightly on the cb/cf/wc thing.

CB = Captive Bred. Snakes born and raised in captivity. The most preferable as they are far less likely to have health problems such as internal and external parasites. If the breader is worth his or her salt then they will feed on frozen/thawed mice (which eliminated the risk of damage live-food can do to a snake) and generally tend to have a nicer temprement than other types of snake.

CF = Captive Farmed. The eggs or gravid (pregnant) snakes are captured in the wild and the snakes are born into facilities in their native countries. The quality of these 'farms' can very greatly. There is still a risk of health issues, although less so. These animals may have been then shipped in great numbers half way around the world, which can be stressful for the animal. This method also has an impact on the natural populations of a species. Individual snakes are usually cheaper than CB.

WC = Wild Caught. Snakes caught in their natural habitat and transported abroad for the pet trade. High risk of health problems, difficulty acclimatising and often feeding difficulties. Has a high impact on natural population numbers. Useful for experienced keepers in order to introduce new blood-lines into their breeding projects and to ensure the locality of the snakes they are keeping.

Most people will agree than unless there is a specific reason why not (and cost is not enough of a reason in my opinion), then CB snakes are the preferrable type.

Having said that, I'm completely hypocritical in that I have two perfectly healthy adult royal pythons that were CF, but if I knew then what I know now...

Old 13-07-2009, 09:42 AM
Premier Member

All explained above and CR (captive raised) is the same as WC or CF,a snake that has been raised but not bred in captivity.
Old 13-07-2009, 10:07 AM
Ultra Citizen

Thanks for clarifying Barry - I have to confess that I hadn't heard the term CR used before.