corn snakes - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 12-07-2009, 10:25 PM
Hatchling
Default corn snakes

I would like to get a corn snake as i heard they were a good one to start with, any advice?

Chloe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2009, 10:30 PM
Forum Citizen

hi,
welcome to the addiction.
yes they do make great starter snakes and there are tons of good care sheets. if you scroll down the forum there are is a care sheet section further down. loads of good advice there.
happy hunting,
cath
Old 13-07-2009, 09:53 AM
Ultra Citizen

There are many possible "beginner" snakes out there. Corn snakes are the most frequent suggestion as they are a hardy species than can tollerate small mistakes in their husbandry, grow to a manageable size and tend to have good appetites when it comes to feeding. There are a number of other species out there that may take your fancy though, and if you are willing to take the time to research properly, and the time and money to ensure the setup you provide for them is spot-on then there's no reason why you should just limit yourself to corn snakes.

Here's some suggestions:

All of the above snakes are what I've seen suggested in the past as beginner snakes, and that is just a small idea of what is available. It's very important to research and find out what special requirements each species has. There's nothing wrong with corns at all, but there is a whole world of other snakes out there too that often get forgotten.

Old 13-07-2009, 01:49 PM
5 Star Member
Send a message via MSN to C4VEMAN-5AM

Just make sure for the above you now how to increase and decrease humidity, thats the only difference, corns dont need humidity.
Old 14-07-2009, 12:38 AM
Ultra Citizen

I wouldn't say humidity is the only difference by a long shot. The temperatures that need to be provided, viv size, substrate, whether arboreal or ground dwelling, how big they grow etc etc. There are also species-specific things that need to be considered, i.e hognoses being rear-fanged. The needs of each species you consider should be researched and provided for. The point I was trying to make was that with a bit of effort, you shouldn't be limited to just corns.
Old 14-07-2009, 08:01 AM
Ultra Citizen

Yeah, also from experience I can say baby milk snakes are the WORST for musking. I have a boy I've had for months and he musks every single time I pick him up - some times poops on me. It's not so pleasant and I could see how it would put someone off.
That said I got three other milks at the same time I got him and none of them do it any more. Just something worth mentioning.
Old 14-07-2009, 10:57 AM
Super Regular
Send a message via Skype™ to cornman247

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantasam View Post

what species is this one?
1.0. caramel cornsnake unnamed as of yet

FAMILY PETS
2 great danes, Titan and Titch
2 jack russells, Maxx and smudge
God knows how many birds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakk View Post
eurgh normals its like having a kid and saying... but... its got brown hair *sigh* lets try again till we get a blonde lol.
PAST REPS
2.1.2 corn snakes
0.2.0 leopard geckos
1.0.0 beaded dragon
Old 14-07-2009, 11:21 AM
5 Star Member
Send a message via MSN to C4VEMAN-5AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornman247 View Post
what species is this one?
Its a rosy boa, i think.
Old 14-07-2009, 11:59 AM
Gold Star Member
Send a message via MSN to Mujician

Yes that picture is a rosy boa. Corn snakes quite to arounf 5 ft. If you feel a snake the length of your body might be quite a challenge then go for a hoggy, a rosy boa, a sand boa, or possibly a royal python. (If its a royl you go for, make sure you get a yearling or a captive bred snake that is feeding well) Ben

Last edited by Mujician; 14-07-2009 at 12:02 PM..