Gecko Help! - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 13-07-2009, 10:08 AM
Hatchling
Exclamation Gecko Help!

hi i just got some leopard geckos and a setup. just a few questions as im a noob!

1) i keep the viv in my room is this ok or do i run the risk of having germs in my room?

2) i also used calci sand but the more i read the more i think to take it out. ofcourse i want the viv to look good but the geckos heath is more important.

3) they seem to be crappin all over the place at the moment but i do have 3 of them in ther, should i clean this everyday? i also herd they will go toilet in the same place once settled.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-07-2009, 10:17 AM
Super Citizen
Send a message via MSN to Simone1989

It's ok in your room as long as you keep it clean and wash your hands! NEVER use calci sand! I have mine on wood chip...thats pretty bad too but I'm getting some slate tiles to put in there...with sand to fill in the cracks and some moss and wood for them to hide in/under...the best thing to do is look them up online to find out thier natural invironment...they're from afghanistan and other rocky terrains in the arab parts...they're usually found hidden in rocks and don't have much sand around them...Always spot check the viv every day and remove the faeces...no-one likes the smell of their own poo!
2.0.0 Guinea Pigs
1.1.0 Rabbits
0.2.0 Daughters :P
Old 13-07-2009, 10:58 AM
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simone1989 View Post
It's ok in your room as long as you keep it clean and wash your hands! NEVER use calci sand! I have mine on wood chip...thats pretty bad too but I'm getting some slate tiles to put in there...with sand to fill in the cracks and some moss and wood for them to hide in/under...the best thing to do is look them up online to find out thier natural invironment...they're from afghanistan and other rocky terrains in the arab parts...they're usually found hidden in rocks and don't have much sand around them...Always spot check the viv every day and remove the faeces...no-one likes the smell of their own poo!

thanks alot for your help.
so do u suggest i take out the sand asap?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-07-2009, 11:02 AM
Super Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelios_c View Post
thanks alot for your help.
so do u suggest i take out the sand asap?
I keep mine on lino tiles or kitchen paper, you need to remove the sand as soon as possible.
Old 13-07-2009, 11:14 AM
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleccy View Post
I keep mine on lino tiles or kitchen paper, you need to remove the sand as soon as possible.

ok, i will do this asap. but dont the tiles make it a cold surface?
i currently have a red infra red light, which is used for heating the tank, can i not use a normal bulb?

thanks
Old 13-07-2009, 11:36 AM
Forum Citizen

You cant use a normal bulb to heat the geckos.
Old 13-07-2009, 11:46 AM
Ultra Citizen
Reviews: 5
Send a message via MSN to Nic123100

I keep mine on vinyl/lino tiles, they are birlliant, I got a granite effect so it looks nicer on the eye, and it's so easy to clean, by far the best thing I've used, also theres no impaction risk so its the best of both.
1. No impaction risk for your pets, 2. Looks nice for you

If you live near a B&Q they do packs of five/six tiles in all different effects and colours ranging from £2.98 to about £8.
Old 13-07-2009, 12:31 PM
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic123100 View Post
I keep mine on vinyl/lino tiles, they are birlliant, I got a granite effect so it looks nicer on the eye, and it's so easy to clean, by far the best thing I've used, also theres no impaction risk so its the best of both.
1. No impaction risk for your pets, 2. Looks nice for you

If you live near a B&Q they do packs of five/six tiles in all different effects and colours ranging from £2.98 to about £8.

Thank u! im gonna go home and change my setup....
Old 13-07-2009, 12:52 PM
Forum Citizen

yep agreed on all counts.
reptiles hav the potential to caryy sallmonella and paracites, u can actull get them test at a reptile vets. as long as u wash ur hands and clean out daily u reduse the risk of zoonotic infection.
DONT use a sand substrate, a very common problem with geckos and other reptiles kept in captivity is impaction. ether they perposly eat subsrate and get bunged up or do it by accident while hunting. and dont under estimate there swallowing ability! i have personly seen a beardie with a peise of wood chipping stuck in its bottom! surgury is expensive and risky so best avoid the problem. i keep mine on kitchen towel and just remove the peise he poos on. i do a full, deep clean each week.
yes they should pick a spot and use it, this may change if the viv is drasticly re-organised!
hope i havnt repted too much! best of luck xxx
1 gorgous gordon gecko

Old 13-07-2009, 12:54 PM
Forum Citizen

btw, heating wise, i have a heat pad taped on the outside, uderside of the tank. i also have a radiater on a timer that heats the area because my take is so big!
you could hav a heat pad inside but underneith the tiles, heat pads are the best in my oppinion just dont hav one uncovered inside! they can burn themselfs. i throt about using a lamp but there is a lot of debate and i dont know enough to advise on them!
xx
1 gorgous gordon gecko