Missing bits - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 13-07-2009, 04:03 PM
Hatchling
Default Missing bits

Hi, I've been browsing through the classifieds and I've noticed that lizards with missing bits (tail ends, fingers, feet etc) seem to be a lot less valued than 'complete' ones.

Is it just wanting them to look 'perfect' or is there something else that devalues them? I only ask cos our house tends to become a home for waifs and strays and we don't worry too much about things looking 100% (strewth, if you saw me, you'd think Izzyhog was the same about fellas too )

So, does a missing toe or whatever REALLY matter that much? Will there be health problems ahead? Or would we be giving an unwanted animal a bit of a break if we took one in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-07-2009, 04:58 PM
Regular

In my opinion unless the animal has been born like it or still has infections etc. then I dont see any difference whatsoever. I personally have a leo who has a regenerated tail and missing toes because of bad sheds before we got him. He's the happiest leo i've ever seen and we've had about 5 I think in our time.

We also have a couple of beardies who both have tail/foot nips due to being kept too long together when babies and not being fed enough. We got them at an incredibly cheap price and as for the leo, he was given to us.

A lot of people just prefer to keep 'perfect' looking animals, its just one of those things. People sell them at a reduced price because they know they will be harder to find a home for. It's exactly the same with any other animal. In my personal opinion, if an animal has got its wounds from life as opposed to being born with them, and they cause the animal no problem at all and are all fully healed, then I believe the worth of them should be no less that any other.

EDIT: forgot to say, the only reason an animal that is born with something wrong with it would be sold for less is because it would not be right perhaps to breed from it. This may devalue it unfortunately.

Last edited by Kathlife; 13-07-2009 at 05:02 PM..
Old 13-07-2009, 10:48 PM
Super Regular

i know what you mean my new BD has extreme MBD and the petshop had rescued him from his old owners but they still said oh well we normally charge 130 for a BD but you can have him at a reduced price! i was like emm i don't really care about the price i just care about him having a better life since you have him in a viv with no heat or lights, in the end i paid £250 for him plus set up they charged me £50 for him alone, but to be honest as i said i didn't care i just didn't want to see him suffer too much (if you look for my "our new addition" post you'll see how bad he is)

to me whether an animal is "100% perfect" or not doesn't matter, what is important is how best treated they are and how good a home you can give them for there life
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17-07-2009, 07:43 PM
Regular

My new beardie has the tips of three toes missing and the end of his tail, because in the shop he was housed with a psychotic larger littermate. (Do baby lizards get counted in litters?!)

I got him because my mate saw him in time, checked him over and found him really nice tempered, alert and healthy, got the shop to separate him, and pushed my support-the-underdog buttons to take him in!!

In all honesty it didn't take any persuasion at all, and he's absolutely lovely! I just hope I do him justice