does it hurts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14-07-2009, 07:14 PM
Posting Deity
Send a message via MSN to HABU

show him who's boss!

humiliate him in front of his friends!

no, seriously... all i an say is to handle him thoughtfully and just get him used to you... it's not like he can rip you arm off or anything but he has to loose some of his fire eventually i would imgine. i would wear him out to a point... try to convince him you aren't a threat... that's all he's doing is reacting to a perceived threat... also the critical time in my experience, is when you first go into his cage... a giant hand is coming at him in his eyes... hand feed him and put your hand in to fiddle around his cage and don't pick him up... minimize him equating your hand with grabbing him all the time... he has to get a little accustom to your hand if it's in there a whole lot... a little at least.

... he's also young... you have plenty of time and young lizards can often stubbornly hold onto that fleeing impulse they are all born with... baby lizards of all kinds can be much more skittish than older examples... and also a fiesty animal o be is showing a healthy survival response... that should subside as it matures...

... i'd have no problem with it's behavior... that's the hobby.... working with lizards... it can be work... this is where experience comes from... you have to outwit the little guy... you're bigger, smarter and i bet you can outlast him!

... he's just a hard-headed little snot that's all... have fun with it and you will be rewarded with a calm, adult dragon in all his glory... it'll pay off.
... me?... i have taken things like this personally an i'd be darned if a lizard or whatever was going to get the best of me.
anyway... others will have some tips i'm sure.

Old 14-07-2009, 07:15 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssthisto View Post
Efunia, what do you do when he charges at your hand?

Do you pull your hand away, or do you let him bite you?

I have to admit, my inclination would be (while he's still as small as he is) to let him bite and learn that biting doesn't make the giant monkey go away.

Of course I'd also probably let him grab onto me and pick him up while he was doing it, so that he learns that biting just gets him bodily held until he lets go, and that letting go of me means he gets to sit in an OPEN hand unrestrained, or that he gets to go back in his cage.
I agree with this, i have a young boa that likes to bite me at the moment, and i am just having to let her and keeping hold so she knows it makes no difference. it dosnt hurt as shes so small just shocks you a bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14-07-2009, 07:17 PM
Premier Citizen
Send a message via MSN to ToxicSiren

At 9 months his bark will be worsethen his bite lol. He sounds like he is trying to be your boss....dont give in. Show him your no threat but not going anyway. Maybe try hand feed him so he associates you with treats rather then a threat. x

http://specialgeckos.webs.com/

Old 14-07-2009, 07:24 PM
Regular

Habu good picture, thats what my husband wants to do with him.i tryed and tryed but it doesnt go anywhere.i work a lot and most of the day iam not at home, maybe thats can have something to do with it.i just dont know do i have a patience any more.
Old 14-07-2009, 07:28 PM
Regular

what about when he hides?sometimes he does it all day, specialy when iam at home.shall i take him out?or leave him to it?he always hides when iam at home..
Old 14-07-2009, 07:31 PM
Premier Citizen

Where does he hide? As if he has a cave or anything id take it out. x

Old 14-07-2009, 07:41 PM
Regular

we did but he just bury his head and doesnt move.
Old 14-07-2009, 07:48 PM
Premier Citizen

Aww bless, really wish we could take him in for you and try sort him out but just cut back on our reptiles as livefood was costing too much. . For now just try get him out for about 2 mins at a time every night, and build up his time out with you. He will learn one day thet you are boss, not him. Its probably wont help at the mo as he will be reaching sexual maturity so will be moody anyway. x

Old 14-07-2009, 07:52 PM
Gold Star Member

what is he like with food? maybe u should challeging the lizard with food like if he likes it soo much get him out but also show the food so he is a bit fixed on both so he got to pick and most lizard may get sick of the same thing like hands and i know mine loves food and wont turn it down, so try feeding outside the viv. put a fast cricket on the floor anf make the lixard run.