cant cope with my beardie - Page 4 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 15-07-2009, 12:37 PM
Ultra Citizen

Hmmm some good points and tips have been raised here!

Firstly where is your set up kept? (on floor or on a stand)
Some males do tend to become aggressive as they sexualy mature but remember Beardies are teritorial so his viv is HIS HOME any intruders will be bitten, so try letting him out into unfamiliar teritory before picking him up. My male was very aggressive from the start but i stuck with it and he eventually calmed down, i did however get mine a female which he loves a lot (so much so that he pesters her for "it" all the time) If you do decide to get a female you must bare in mind that at some point you may and probably will have to separate them, which meens 2 vivs, have you the space? Mine get on great, still do but they had to be separated due to her falling gravid and needing a rest from her sex pest fella etc.
Another thing you can try is to pick him up as he is falling asleep, tired and less alert, then gently hold him till he calms and stroke him and his head so he closes his eyes and drifts off to sleep on your chest or leg, leave him asleep for 15 -20 mins and very gently put him back. Over time he should see your not a threat or food and become your cutest friend
0.1.0 Lionhead
1.0.0 Syrian Hamster
0.2.0 Daughters
1.0.0 Son
click here for caresheets:-Turkistan Roaches , Bearded Dragon aftercare and mini-caresheet, Breeding Bearded Dragons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15-07-2009, 12:57 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssthisto View Post
Efunia, what do you do when he charges at your hand?

Do you pull your hand away, or do you let him bite you?

I have to admit, my inclination would be (while he's still as small as he is) to let him bite and learn that biting doesn't make the giant monkey go away.

Of course I'd also probably let him grab onto me and pick him up while he was doing it, so that he learns that biting just gets him bodily held until he lets go, and that letting go of me means he gets to sit in an OPEN hand unrestrained, or that he gets to go back in his cage.

I totally agree with Ssthisto!!! good advice!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strictly_scales View Post
I reckon the danger is that if the Boa tightened round his neck, he may drop the controller, lose the game, and in a massive fit of nerd rage, hurl the snake across the room before bursting into tears, dying his hair black and self harming for 3 hours.

Proud owner of many Retics, Burmese and African Rocks!

Old 16-07-2009, 05:39 PM
Regular

i am going to get him a female.i have got 2 vivariums, so if he doesnt like it i can always take her out.if that doesnt work do anybody knows anybody in north yorshire, or west yorkshire who could foster or buy him?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16-07-2009, 06:34 PM
Posting Deity
Send a message via Skype™ to Ssthisto

You'd need to keep the female completely separate for three months to make sure she isn't carrying any parasites or diseases before you could put him in with her, you know... and in that three months, if you persist with teaching him that biting doesn't WORK to make you go away, you'd probably have a tame, handleable beardie WITHOUT introducing him to a female to get even stroppier about.

Has he actually BITTEN you or does he just charge at you mouth open? If he just charges, he might not even bite you at all - it could be bluff, and every time you pull away you're teaching him that charging at you showing off his teeth makes you go away.

If you really want someone to "lodge" him for a little while and get him into the idea that biting doesn't mean he gets his way, I could probably spare space for his vivarium and use a plug socket or two for a few weeks as long as his feed bill is covered. I'm not at all interested in *owning* a beardie, but having been charged by monitors and tegus, a beardie bite really doesn't worry me much.

"My bum has been a bum for a very long time, but that does n't mean I have to listen to what it says."
- Terry Pratchett, Fifth Elephant

Member 1603
Old 16-07-2009, 06:59 PM
Regular

thankyou for advice and support on this but we have had lots of help from a wide range of ideas all good so we going to take heed of that and try and try,already today he was sulking and hiding so i dug him out stroked his head for a while and then sat with him on floor put him back in viv and looks in good fettle running about standing in strange positions and being a happy dragon,but thanks for everything will keep you posted
Old 16-07-2009, 08:27 PM
Regular

i put some new pictures on.you can see how gorgeous he is.even running about on the flore.he didnt do that for ages.hope he will do it again..thanx
Old 16-07-2009, 08:37 PM
Super Citizen
Send a message via MSN to Simone1989

My beardie gets a bit aggressive now and then but has only bit me once because he knows I wont back down! My friend hand fed her beardie and it got to the point that the beardie related her hand to food and used to charge her...I wouldn't give up I would make the little git stay in my hand and if he tries to get away hold him firmer and if her bites you hold him longer...be persistant as it sounds like he's got you wrapped around his finger to me!
2.0.0 Guinea Pigs
1.1.0 Rabbits
0.2.0 Daughters :P
Old 18-07-2009, 10:43 AM
Forum Citizen

have you tried feeding him with a pair of prongs ?

my beardie started being a little aggressive and i tamed it with food i stopped letting it hunt for a while and hand fed every piece .. after a week or so she has tamed fine now .. no flaring , no aggression ..she is now 8 months and never bites anyone now my daughter who is 5 can now pickup and stroke her and she just sits there

may help . . .