Beardie List - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 16-07-2009, 09:44 PM
Super Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagananaka View Post
Good list exactly wots on mine
Only my viv is gonna b 6x2x2 and wondering whether to use one 48in uvb (arcadia) or 2 of the other sizes (eg 30in and 24in) or 2 compact.. don't wanna get that bit wrong....

Going to get the wood for mine on Saturday, got some other bits off ebay, glass runners etc....

Getting there bit by bit...Good tip about the calcium and nutribal will use it when I get my beardies...sooner rather than later I hope....

Good luck with yours Squonk...
Don't use compacts, they are known for causing eye issues.

One big tube would be far cheaper considering they only last for about 6 months. Also most people use a 36" tube in a 48" viv, so a 48" tube should do the job.

1.0.0 x Bearded Dragon (Loki)
0.1.0 x Chocolate Lab (Sadie)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17-07-2009, 11:38 AM
Super Regular

compacts are only good with arboreal species imo.
sorry for insulting intelligence and all but they require tall vivs rather than long such as beardies.

make sure the UV runs the whole length of the viv, deffo that its by the basking spot.

yeah the nutrabol thing is just what i do, it may not work better, or it might, i just think that spreading it out may increase the ammount of it being diffused...? just my opinion though :P

anyway, like i said any questions or problems then pm me!
Old 17-07-2009, 12:31 PM
Super Regular
Send a message via MSN to Squonk

Thanks Pagananaka Good luck with yours too...

And thanks for the suggestion about the calcium and vits danoc2005, mentioned this to the other half, he doesn't know anything about reptiles but said this sounds sensible to space it out We will be going shopping this weekend to look at vivs can't wait!!

-----------------------------------------------------
"Have you ever seen a squonk's tears? Well look at mine."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-07-2009, 01:16 AM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by squonk View Post
i know this will have been done before so i apologise in advance but i wanted some reassurance that i've made note of everything i needto buy over the next week or so to get set up ready for my first beardie here's the list i've come up with, any other suggestions or help will be greatly appreciated.

List as follows:

Vivarium 4 x 2 x 2 (not sure whether its better to partition the viv to start off with then open it out later or just leave it as is as see how it goes)
tile and grout for the base of the viv.
Arcadia d3+ 12% uv tube 36"
arcadia starter fitting
ceramic basking bulb fitting (gonna try b&q, other suggestions welcome)
spot bulb for basking (asda/b&q) was gonna pick up a few packets and experiment with different wattages.
Habistat dimming thermostat
limestone flour for calcium dusting weekdays (if this is ok to use for beardies)
nutrobal for weekends
infrared temp gun
either a lucky reptile thermometer with the ability to measure 2 sources at once or 2 digital thermometers.
Basking rocks/bark/decor. Was thinking either some rocks from b&q or making my own with polystyrene. (see how brave i feel lol)
food bowl
and of course crickets (im assuming micros for a young beardie, know the rule about between the eyes )
plenty greenery which i've made a list of from the nutrition guide on here.
And lastly something to store the crickets in as was looking to order in bulk of maybe 1000 while its young, not quite worked that one out yet lol

anyway that's it... I think i remembered everything. Will also be getting some reptile friendly spray for tank cleaning but other than that that's all i can think of. If anyone can see something i've missed please let me know

dont forget the beardie lol !

Old 18-07-2009, 05:18 AM
Ultra Citizen

Don't grout the tiles, just get them cut to fit tightly it's easier and makes cleaning easier if any waste did penetrate the grout I also hear it makes removing the tiles and absoloute pain should you upgrade the viv or want to sell.

you may also want to get:
bulb guard(so if bulb explodes or somehow comes loose it won't smash as easy oh and your beardy won't be able to get within direct contact with basking bulbs.

UV light reflector to ensure maximum use of UVB tube.

Water/foodish

I would get some branches and I collected the rocks myself and cleaned them with disinfectant, rinsed with clean water, dried and then baked for a couple of hours.

For that many crickets buy one of those plastic storage containers(make sure it's higher than the crickets can jump) and I would get larger crickets than micro for sure maybe 3rd instar? I also use a large plastic storage container for bathing him in and one for feeding mine his cockroaches in(only because I don't want to let them infest my home lol.

goodluck
austin

Last edited by ex0tics; 18-07-2009 at 05:23 AM..
Old 18-07-2009, 05:46 PM
Super Regular

Thanks for the advice Was just wondering about having the larger viv to start off with. With it being 24" high and the basking and uv tube needing to be within 6 inches of the dragon how is this acomplished?

Old 18-07-2009, 07:23 PM
Super Regular

And excuse my ignorance about the food, I cant really tell on the internet pics how big the crix are.

Old 19-07-2009, 02:38 PM
Regular

Think high basking platforms for both spot light and uvb light. Gonna arrange something so the beardies can climb up and bask as needed...there r pics on the forum somewhere that show wot I mean...

not always good at explaining...or have heard suggestion of uvb light being suspended on chain so can be lowered and highered....makes a bit of sense but dunno how practical it is...

well have now got the 'shell' of my viv all done, bloody hell its bigger than i thought dunno why but a tape measured 6 feet is nowt to a 3D image...its massive....
Old 19-07-2009, 03:58 PM
Super Regular

I bet it looks huge and Ive been looking through some pics today for ideas for basking spots Well i got a quote from a guy on the forums who makes vivs so as soon as i have the funds i'll be contacting him again. In the meantime I'm just gonna buy bits and bobs, sadly one of my cats needs an operation and so the money Ive saved will be spent on him first so the beardie will be on hold for a few weeks longer.

Old 19-07-2009, 04:25 PM
Regular

Awww poor cat, hope all goes well and are better soon as possible.

Yes it does, hubby said WTF and when we were moving into it ....i car
Did ask if he preferred it a tad smaller and even measured out a foot off each piece but he said he couldnt be 'bothered' so I carried on...

Keep getting wot bits ya can, before ya know it all you'll need is the viv and beardie...Got some 5ft branches waiting in the outhouse...need to get rid of the bark, wash n dry etc...