Beardie List - Page 3 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 19-07-2009, 06:29 PM

Hey guys,

just a thought - a few more things you may want to consider buying for your beardy (random bits that arn't essential but could be useful in the future).

Kricket keeper - your beardy is going to eat LOOOTS of crix and as you may have guessed buying in bulk can make things cheaper. I bought a cricket keeper to hold livefood and they're really good. They also have tubes - and because crix crawl into dark places..this makes it really easy to feed your beardy - pull out a tube...put in fridge to make them slow for a while...open end and put in your calcium dust/nutrabol...shake...and feed.

Just make sure you have some masking tape on hand - although they;re really good for holding your bugs...houdini's do exist and do escape...theres a few gaps you'll want to shore up - particularly the holes above the 'flip screens' - you'll know what I mean if you look at one'.

Bug gel - its an easy way of feeding your crix water without them drowning in it....its nasty looking stuff, and you replace it daily elsewise mould can form on it from uneaten food. But reduces your loss of crickets to drowning no end.

Food/water bowl for crickets.

Kitchen Scales (preferably digital) - good for keeping an eye on Beardy wait. Best case - nice to see how they're gaining weight as they're gaining length. Worst case - good way of keeping an eye on beardy wait if you're concerned they're not eating/ill etc (I hope this doesn't happen to you but, at some point in your beardies life, it may be under the weather - scales are great for keeping an eye on term and ensuring the're nice and healthy!)

Hope it helps...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-07-2009, 06:43 PM
Super Regular
Send a message via MSN to Squonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagananaka View Post
Awww poor cat, hope all goes well and are better soon as possible.

Yes it does, hubby said WTF and when we were moving into it ....i car
Did ask if he preferred it a tad smaller and even measured out a foot off each piece but he said he couldnt be 'bothered' so I carried on...

Keep getting wot bits ya can, before ya know it all you'll need is the viv and beardie...Got some 5ft branches waiting in the outhouse...need to get rid of the bark, wash n dry etc...
if he's anything like my other half he just sits back and lets me get on with it, we get our own way in the end Gonna buy all the smaller things i can afford now... then the more expensive stuff after my cats op then the viv, then gonna run it for a while and make sure the temps are all as they should, probably put up some pics in case anyone can suggest anything i can change for the better. As for the beardie I havent decided where to go yet, whether to look for a breeder or try a reptile shop.

-----------------------------------------------------
"Have you ever seen a squonk's tears? Well look at mine."
Old 19-07-2009, 06:45 PM
Super Regular
Send a message via MSN to Squonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat09 View Post
Hey guys,

just a thought - a few more things you may want to consider buying for your beardy (random bits that arn't essential but could be useful in the future).

Kricket keeper - your beardy is going to eat LOOOTS of crix and as you may have guessed buying in bulk can make things cheaper. I bought a cricket keeper to hold livefood and they're really good. They also have tubes - and because crix crawl into dark places..this makes it really easy to feed your beardy - pull out a tube...put in fridge to make them slow for a while...open end and put in your calcium dust/nutrabol...shake...and feed.

Just make sure you have some masking tape on hand - although they;re really good for holding your bugs...houdini's do exist and do escape...theres a few gaps you'll want to shore up - particularly the holes above the 'flip screens' - you'll know what I mean if you look at one'.

Bug gel - its an easy way of feeding your crix water without them drowning in it....its nasty looking stuff, and you replace it daily elsewise mould can form on it from uneaten food. But reduces your loss of crickets to drowning no end.

Food/water bowl for crickets.

Kitchen Scales (preferably digital) - good for keeping an eye on Beardy wait. Best case - nice to see how they're gaining weight as they're gaining length. Worst case - good way of keeping an eye on beardy wait if you're concerned they're not eating/ill etc (I hope this doesn't happen to you but, at some point in your beardies life, it may be under the weather - scales are great for keeping an eye on term and ensuring the're nice and healthy!)

Hope it helps...

Thank you was gonna buy a cricket keeper but wasnt sure how many they held, was considering getting a tank for them if i have the space. Probably decide when I'm all set up viv wise.... crix will be the last thing i buy before going out for the beardie so got plenty time to think about it. Thanks again for your advice

-----------------------------------------------------
"Have you ever seen a squonk's tears? Well look at mine."