Reptile Forums

Reptile Forums (https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/)
-   Newbie Advice (https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/newbie-advice/)
-   -   Beardie List (https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/newbie-advice/339775-beardie-list.html)

Squonk 14-07-2009 09:57 PM

Beardie List
 
I know this will have been done before so i apologise in advance but i wanted some reassurance that I've made note of everything i needto buy over the next week or so to get set up ready for my first beardie :) Here's the list I've come up with, any other suggestions or help will be greatly appreciated.

List as follows:

Vivarium 4 x 2 x 2 (Not sure whether its better to partition the Viv to start off with then open it out later or just leave it as is as see how it goes)
Tile and grout for the base of the viv.
Arcadia D3+ 12% UV tube 36"
Arcadia starter fitting
Ceramic basking bulb fitting (Gonna try B&Q, other suggestions welcome)
Spot bulb for basking (Asda/B&Q) Was gonna pick up a few packets and experiment with different wattages.
Habistat dimming thermostat
Limestone Flour for calcium dusting weekdays (If this is ok to use for beardies)
Nutrobal For weekends
Infrared Temp Gun
Either a Lucky reptile thermometer with the ability to measure 2 sources at once or 2 digital thermometers.
Basking rocks/Bark/Decor. Was thinking either some rocks from B&Q or making my own with polystyrene. (see how brave i feel lol)
Food Bowl
And of course crickets (Im assuming micros for a young beardie, know the rule about between the eyes :))
Plenty greenery which i've made a list of from the nutrition guide on here.
And lastly something to store the crickets in as was looking to order in bulk of maybe 1000 while its young, not quite worked that one out yet lol

Anyway that's it... I think i remembered everything. Will also be getting some reptile friendly spray for tank cleaning but other than that that's all i can think of. If anyone can see something I've missed please let me know :)

RNelson 14-07-2009 10:04 PM

I'm looking to get first beardie soon and stuck on where to buy stuff :( any recommendations?

Squonk 14-07-2009 10:19 PM

I've just been looking online... A few things like bowls and such will either be eBay or Our local reptile shop. As for the lighting and such I've found most of my stuff here Reptilekeeping The online Reptile Shop, Selling Livefoods Reptile Accessories and Equipment. (dunno what they're like) or Livefoods which alot of people on the forum seem to recommend. As for the things like basking bulb/fitting and stones and such I'm just gonna look around B&Q and see if i can find what I need.

Andi Mack 15-07-2009 04:52 PM

you could do with a reflector for the uv tube.

Squonk 15-07-2009 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andi Mack (Post 4309929)
you could do with a reflector for the uv tube.


Cheers, Arcadia reflector been added to the list :thumb:

Quiller 16-07-2009 11:09 AM

For my Viv of similar size I use a 100w basking lamp and it's excellent. That and my Dimmer Stat hold the temps spot on.

And for the Crix I use a big plastic (toybox) tub from Ikea. I've sanded the sides to about halfway up to increase the crawl space, and stand it on a heat pad. I have to clean it out every few weeks to keep the s:censor:t and smell down, but it's no great shakes.

Squonk 16-07-2009 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quiller (Post 4314336)
For my Viv of similar size I use a 100w basking lamp and it's excellent. That and my Dimmer Stat hold the temps spot on.

And for the Crix I use a big plastic (toybox) tub from Ikea. I've sanded the sides to about halfway up to increase the crawl space, and stand it on a heat pad. I have to clean it out every few weeks to keep the s:censor:t and smell down, but it's no great shakes.


Thanks for very much for your help!!! The cricket storage was the one thing stumping me :2thumb:

danoc2005 16-07-2009 03:55 PM

yep thats all good there mate!

a few tips more than anything,
use a rock under the spotlight as it holds a warm belly heat, good for digestion
and it should be alright in a 4 fter, mine was!

i nutrobal mine on wed and sat, just to spread it, you may want to consider?
im glad you have came and found out what you need before getting the beardie :D

have fun, they are amazing pets :)
(any problems or questions pm me, im happy to help )

Squonk 16-07-2009 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danoc2005 (Post 4316074)
yep thats all good there mate!

a few tips more than anything,
use a rock under the spotlight as it holds a warm belly heat, good for digestion
and it should be alright in a 4 fter, mine was!

i nutrobal mine on wed and sat, just to spread it, you may want to consider?
im glad you have came and found out what you need before getting the beardie :D

have fun, they are amazing pets :)
(any problems or questions pm me, im happy to help )

Thanks for the advice :2thumb: much appreciated. Only reason i had calcium down for weekdays and vits weekends was because every post ive read so far on the forums about beardies they've all said they do it this way. Just following the crowd i guess :p

Pagananaka 16-07-2009 08:41 PM

Good list exactly wots on mine :lol2:
Only my viv is gonna b 6x2x2 and wondering whether to use one 48in uvb (arcadia) or 2 of the other sizes (eg 30in and 24in) or 2 compact.. don't wanna get that bit wrong....

Going to get the wood for mine on Saturday, got some other bits off ebay, glass runners etc....

Getting there bit by bit...Good tip about the calcium and nutribal will use it when I get my beardies...sooner rather than later I hope....:whistling2:

Good luck with yours Squonk...


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:00 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2005 - 2011, Reptile Forums (RFUK™)