Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 29-07-2009, 01:08 PM
Super Regular
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by moomoo View Post
Many thanks ssthisto!

And surprise,surprise, I have a few more questions:

1. Which substrates are good for ackies? any plus or minus points?

2. Is heatmat necessary?In the lizard tank I bought there isn't any specific separation for it?

3.How often/how do I know when to change the Uv and heat lamps? They are included in teh tank I bought second hand, but how can I be sure they still work fully?

4.How often do I need to clean his home? I will of course do spot-cleaning every day, when necessary. Shall I only use the reptile cleanin thing that's sold at petshops, or are some normal cleaning fluids a good alternative?

Thanks again in advance.
hi there
I use 10"deep 70/30 B&Q top soil with play sand(good from argos). pick the poo daily but change every 2-3months. I do it more often as a new one give you better humidity-important thing with ackie shedding.(50-60).
never use heatmat as ackie burrow .best heat from ceramic bulb on stat.
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2009, 05:24 PM
Regular

Ah, one more question.Do ackies eat fish? If so, is it safe for them? is it ok to buy small fish like sprats and serve them raw, or may they have parasites? I quess salmon and squidrings would't have the parasite problem..
Replies much appreciated!
Old 07-08-2009, 05:28 PM
Posting Deity
Send a message via Skype™ to Ssthisto

No, they do not eat fish in the wild.

They would possibly eat them in captivity, and that's probably a better "treat" food choice than mammalian prey. Not a treat I would give (mine get roaches and the occasional waxworm as a treat).

Salmon and squid are just as likely to have parasites as sprats, mind you.

"My bum has been a bum for a very long time, but that does n't mean I have to listen to what it says."
- Terry Pratchett, Fifth Elephant

Member 1603
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2009, 04:55 PM
Regular

Thank you again so much Sshisto!

I have my little ackie now.She is tiny, only 4 months old. I only just got her 2 days ago (Thanks Ramage).And as usual, have a feew more questions:

1. How do I feed her the crickets without the crickets trying to jump out and all over the room? Any hints?

2. How much is she supposed to eat? She ate 5 medium sized crickets last night, and continued eating this morning. Her tummy looks quite full.Should I let her eat as much as possibel, or control it?

3. How do I use the thermostat? Sorry,but my tank is second hand.I first tried it, and set it on 30C, but the temp is 35C. Is the thermostat not gonna stop the temperature rising? Or is it to stop it from falling? Sorry if this is a real stupid, beginner question

4. Am trying to tame her. I pick her up inside thbe tank once a day and hold her (She kicks & wriggles),while holding food in front of her(which she doesn't take). Is this the correct thing to do to make her easy to handler in teh future? Any suggestions

Again,thanks again for your very helpful replies
Old 11-08-2009, 05:43 PM
Regular

Anybody know?
Old 11-08-2009, 07:00 PM
Posting Deity
Send a message via Skype™ to Ssthisto

1. Put the cricket tub into the viv and open it a little bit, then shake it to get a few crickets out. Yes, you will get some escapees, it's just how things go

2. If she's tiny, great big crickets might be too big for her - I let mine eat as much as they want as long as it's INSECTS.

3. Where is your thermostat probe located in the tank? You ideally want a basking temperature around 120 to 130 degrees Fahrenheit (sorry, I don't work in Celsius) - but you'll need to position your probe so you get the right basking temperature AND you get a cool area in the viv.

4. I very rarely pick up my ackies - I let them come investigate me or climb on my hands. I don't want them to associate my hands with being grabbed and held bodily any more than necessary.

"My bum has been a bum for a very long time, but that does n't mean I have to listen to what it says."
- Terry Pratchett, Fifth Elephant

Member 1603
Old 13-08-2009, 02:21 PM
Regular

Sshisto, I don't know how to thank you again...so big thank you!!