Daft thermostat question... - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 19-07-2009, 11:36 AM
Regular
Wink Daft thermostat question...

I've got a Habistat dimming thermostat, I'm setting up my vivarium for my beardies arrival on Thursday, and I've just realised, I don't know where the sensor for the dimming thermostat actually goes.

Does it go into the vivarium and sit at the cool end of the viv? Or the hot end? Or right underneath the basking spot? Also if it's sitting in the vivarium how to I prevent my beardie from moving it around or playing with it?

Thanks if you can help! I've got a thermometer to stick on to the wall of the cool end of the viv, and a digital thermometer for the hot end to test the temperature under the basking rock, but I'm flummoxed by where all these sensor-probe thingies are actually supposed to go!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-07-2009, 11:46 AM
Ultra Citizen

I put mine near the middle and keep an eye on the temps with a digi thermometer and temp gun and adjust the stat as needed proberly a good idea to get the temps set before you put the beardy in.
As for the hiding the probe thing the only thing you can do is try to conseal it as good as you can its not a danger to the beardy but doesnt look good when looking in and all you see is a black probe sat in the viv

Last edited by reptilefever; 19-07-2009 at 12:43 PM..
Old 19-07-2009, 11:50 AM
Ultra Citizen

And dont go off what the temps say on the actual stat as the nubers wrote on it arnt an accurate temp just go off your digi thermometer and it should be fine.
You can but temp guns that give you temp reading on the spot instanly giving you a correct temp reading, they can be brought from maplins pritty cheapish or ebay too

Old 19-07-2009, 12:29 PM

The probe for the dimmer MUST go in the cool end of the viv, if you look at the dimmers temp dial it does not go above 90 degrees therefore is not placed near the hot end as the bulb will never reach above 90 degrees and you need it to be hotter than that ...please put it in the cool end and set it about 84 degrees....
Old 19-07-2009, 12:56 PM
Posting Deity
Send a message via MSN to AshMashMash

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmth girl View Post
The probe for the dimmer MUST go in the cool end of the viv,
No, thats not correct at all.

The probe for the thermostat can go anywhere in the viv, or the world, where the temperature of that environment is controlled by the heat source the stat is controlling.

So, the probe can go on the warm end, middle, cool end, next to the heat mat, outside the viv on the heat mat, up the wall of the viv... anywhere where the temperature is controlled by the heat mat.

Then, you set the dial of the stat according to what a thermometer says, placed in the area you want to measure, typically the warm end. Change the dial on the stat according to the thermometer readings, not what the dial thinks it is keeping the temp at.

Yes, it is true that if you place the probe at the warm end, you may not be able to get warm enough temps inside the viv even with the stat on maximum setting. In which case, move it further down. My stats are often placed inside socks, then placed on the heatmat outside the viv, and this works fine. Just means you dont have a stat probe getting in the way every time you want to pull out a RUB.

Old 19-07-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshMashMash View Post
No, thats not correct at all.

The probe for the thermostat can go anywhere in the viv, or the world, where the temperature of that environment is controlled by the heat source the stat is controlling.

So, the probe can go on the warm end, middle, cool end, next to the heat mat, outside the viv on the heat mat, up the wall of the viv... anywhere where the temperature is controlled by the heat mat.

Then, you set the dial of the stat according to what a thermometer says, placed in the area you want to measure, typically the warm end. Change the dial on the stat according to the thermometer readings, not what the dial thinks it is keeping the temp at.

Yes, it is true that if you place the probe at the warm end, you may not be able to get warm enough temps inside the viv even with the stat on maximum setting. In which case, move it further down. My stats are often placed inside socks, then placed on the heatmat outside the viv, and this works fine. Just means you dont have a stat probe getting in the way every time you want to pull out a RUB.
The dimmer setting is up to 92 degrees, the temp will therefore not ever increase more than 92 , if a basking temp is needed below 92 degrees then it would be fine, a bearded dragons temps are over 100 degrees , therefore the probe when placed under the basking light will be useless that is why for beardy temps it has to be placed at the cooler end...
Old 19-07-2009, 06:01 PM
Regular

Thanks alot for all the advice. The dimming thermostat is actually linked to a light bulb, not a heat mat, I appreciate this works similarly anyway.

At the moment the sensor is right by the basking spot/rock and is obviously getting heated up too much. I'll do a little trial and error, and move it along so it's further away from the basking light, probably into the middle of the vivarium. At the moment both the warm end and the cold end of the viv are too cold so obviously a little playing about is in order.

Added question: what temp should I set the thermostat to for a beardie?
Old 19-07-2009, 07:01 PM

84 cool end as I mentioned before
Old 19-07-2009, 07:06 PM

I did know that it was for a beardy as I replyed to your first post , this is the correct way to use dimmer stats....its obviously totaly up to you who's advice you take.... in light of the fact that bearded dragons are best warmed with lights and definately not with mats..I also have a gecko with a MAT , connected to a MAT STAT, this is different as the probe controls the MAT and therefore placed directly on it....where as a dimmer just keeps the cool end cool .....I could go on but I think you know it all by now...
Old 19-07-2009, 07:31 PM
Posting Deity
Send a message via MSN to AshMashMash

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmth girl View Post
The dimmer setting is up to 92 degrees, the temp will therefore not ever increase more than 92 , if a basking temp is needed below 92 degrees then it would be fine, a bearded dragons temps are over 100 degrees , therefore the probe when placed under the basking light will be useless that is why for beardy temps it has to be placed at the cooler end...
Yeh, like I said, you MAY have to not put it on the warm end.

Hang on, I'll just repeat exaclty what i said

"Yes, it is true that if you place the probe at the warm end, you may not be able to get warm enough temps inside the viv even with the stat on maximum setting. In which case, move it further down."