Viv heating and electric supply.. please help! - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 20-07-2009, 08:06 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozyshane View Post
im not too sure what the problem is with your electrics, but would just like to say that if you are unsure about it, its best to have someone qualified to take a look.its probably something simple. do you know a sparky, or know anyone who does? im sure if its a friend or a friend of a friend, with lots of smiles it could be sorted without hurting your pocket. good luck.
As above, If you know what you are doing, then take the plug apart and have a look, but if you are unsure then leave well alone.

Have you tried another bulb in the holder, will this trip the fuse?

Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20-07-2009, 10:45 PM
Ultra Citizen

When it comes to electrcity i think its best to leave it to an expert: just no point taking risks, so i'd get someone out to have a look at it.
Old 20-07-2009, 11:07 PM
Forum Citizen

Update

I opened up the plug and it was a mess- the earth wire was not connected at all which made me slightly uneasy as I'm not sure how long it was operating like that. So I rewired the thing and it still tripped the fuse. Not sure what's going on with the bulb and heater- whoever made the viv seems to have fixed everything in pretty well so I'm not sure how I'm going to remove the ceramic cage. I'll have a fiddle with it tomorrow.

Currently using a mat and stat so snakey is ok

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.

phoenixxx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20-07-2009, 11:15 PM
Super Citizen
Send a message via MSN to mantidboywonder

try find a sparky on here near you. i'm a sparky but im hours away from you. An electrician might just need look over your ceramics could be loose wire etc too much earth leakage some tests would find problem but seriously find an expert there has got to be someone near you who is or who knows an ekctrician who will give it a quick look as prob be too expensive call one out for it ? as prob only wants quick look over and tests it could be the main fuse it's self that's why you really need a professional

I'm loving leopard gex
Old 21-07-2009, 05:48 PM
Hatchling

Try taking the ceramic out and replacing it with a normal bulb. If the RCD still trips, the fault is in the bulb holder or wiring or plug. If it doesn't trip then the ceramic is faulty.

Post the results and, if the bulb holder/wiring/plug seem faulty, we can maybe help further...
Old 08-08-2009, 01:30 PM
Super Regular

I've just moved and the ceramic set up failed in the new place. In the end it was the bulb- guess it got damaged in the move. Its a pain to get it out of the guard, but looks like you are olut of options: remove it, place it in a nother socket you know works and see if it gets hot- if not a blown bulb/ wiring issue. Then try a light bulb in the viv one to see if it lights up: if its live and if that trips the circuit in which case you've damaged the viv set up in the move.
If you're not confident fiddling with electricity get someone else to do it though...! Best of luck.