Viv heating and electric supply.. please help! - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 20-07-2009, 02:00 PM
Forum Citizen
Default Viv heating and electric supply.. please help!

I've just moved house and am having a few problems with the electrics.
I have 3 vivs. The 2 small ones have heatmats and 100 watt ministats and those are fine, but the large viv is heated with a ceramic bulb covered by 300w ministat. The large one worked fine in my old place, but every time I try to switch it on here it flicks the big switch in the electrics cupboard and all the other electrics go off.

I'm not very good with this kind of stuff and would appreciate any help

Thanks
phoenixxx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20-07-2009, 03:00 PM
Super Regular

could there be a fault in the actual plug on the wall or are they all connected to it through an extension? we had a plug in our house anytime you plugged anything into it everything shorted out! it was a nightmare

x
1 iguana, 9 bearded dragons, 2 tokays, 2 leopard geckos, 2 fan footed geckos, 2 housies, 3 carolina corns, 1 creamicle corn, 1 albino cali king, 2 desert horned lizards, 2 YBS terrapins, 1 chinese water dragon, 1 chameleon, 3 whites tree frogs, 1 pacman & 2 dogs
Old 20-07-2009, 03:04 PM
Egg

it could be a couple of things, The circuit breaker its trippng may be faulty or too low, Whats the rating on the front of the breaker usually B32 on a ring main. also does the trip thats tripping have a test button ? if it does its a Earth leakage circuit breaker and there may be some earth leakage from the light in the viv causing the RCD to trip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20-07-2009, 03:04 PM
Super Regular

there is an earth fault somewhere in your plug/heater or stat, try plugging the ceramic in without the stat, if that works fine then it's the stat that is faulty, if it still doesnt work then it's the plug on the ceramic or the connections at the ceramic.

guessing your old house didnt have a new mains board with an rcd unit, and the new house does

hope that helps, if you need anymore info, pm me, as i am a qualified electrician
Old 20-07-2009, 03:09 PM
Super Citizen

Bigger fuse?
Old 20-07-2009, 03:13 PM
Super Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNelson View Post
Bigger fuse?

in no way do this, very dangerous, could cause fires and not letting the fuse trip and melting cables instead, please will people with no electrical qualifications answer, i know you may be only trying to help but seen to many electrical fires etc happen because people who dont really know what they are doing try and do things.
Old 20-07-2009, 03:32 PM
Forum Citizen

Cheers for all replies
I've tried plugging in the ceramic without the stat and it still trips it. Do I need to replace the heat source then- could be hard cos it's built into the viv itself

Thanks
Old 20-07-2009, 03:49 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixxx View Post
Cheers for all replies
I've tried plugging in the ceramic without the stat and it still trips it. Do I need to replace the heat source then- could be hard cos it's built into the viv itself

Thanks
Have you tried plugging anthing else into this socket, phone charger/kettle, if so and it still trips, get an electrician in, if not, then it's the ceramic, or the plug from the ceramic, is this plug moulded?

Jay
Old 20-07-2009, 04:33 PM
Forum Citizen

The socket is fine- the other 2 heatmats are now plugged in there, and if I try to use another socket for the ceramic it still trips the system. Do I need to change the plug? I think the plug can be opened, but the bulb and guard are somehow built into the viv.

Thanks
phoenixxx
Old 20-07-2009, 04:40 PM
Forum Citizen

im not too sure what the problem is with your electrics, but would just like to say that if you are unsure about it, its best to have someone qualified to take a look.its probably something simple. do you know a sparky, or know anyone who does? im sure if its a friend or a friend of a friend, with lots of smiles it could be sorted without hurting your pocket. good luck.