My new pets - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 20-07-2009, 03:26 PM
Default My new pets

Hi everyone,

I'm Sue and had been looking to get a ghecko for a while. Our local pet shop is closing and fatally! I visited them yesterday, they were selling off stock with viv's for half price. So.... I went a bit mad! Originally I had decided to get leopard gecko's as they seemed to be (after my research) probably the best for a new starter. However, in my moment of madness! I now own 5 gecko's! 2 gorgeous year old female leopard gecko's who are very tame, eating well and like being out the viv more than in. Shop said they had been someone's pet. They are called Luna and Lola (the kids named them).

Next there is Ted. He's a 2 month old designer leopard gecko. He's still a bit shy, comes out at night, but I havn't seen him eat all that much.

Next is the still un-named 8 month old, Fat tail skunk and the leopard Leucistic gecko's. Now this is where I'd appreciate some help from you guys. Pet shop I bought them from said these 2 could live together. However, another shop I use has said they need separate environments. Please dont shout at me for my spur of the moment purchases of latter 3, I'm not normally that impulsive.

I have 2 leopards together, Ted on his own and fat tail and leucistic together (at the minute). All have 2 ft vivs, with warm side and cool side. Heat pads, water, damp moss. I'm feeding them crickets, locusts, meal worms and plan to give them a wax worm weekly.

I'd appreciate your help. Thanks a lot.

Sue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20-07-2009, 07:14 PM
Ultra Citizen

You can keep a group of female leopard geckos together, with one male (or keep the male seperate if you do not want to breed from them) Thats as adults. I wouldn't keep the fat tail in with them, fat tails need a more humid set up i think, quite apart from the risk of them fighting. However, i would keep geckos of different sizes seperate too really. It was a long time ago that i used to keep them: someone with more experience will probably give you more detailed advice
Old 20-07-2009, 07:20 PM
Postaholic Member
Send a message via MSN to stephenie191

Yeah, you have to be carful with keeping differn't species together.

I would keep the two seperate. I'm not sure on their specific requirments because i'm more into snakes but have a look through the care sheet section.
I'm sure somone else can help more on them.

I think you've been very smart in asking another shop for advice and then coming on here. You oviously care alot about them and want to be a good rep owner, so well done
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20-07-2009, 07:30 PM

Thank you for your replies. I've done a bit more research and it does look like the skunk needs more humidity thant the leucistic, so i'm off to buy another viv for one of them tomorrow. The skunk had no humidity in pet shop but he has moved straight into the wet moss and curled up and gone to sleep. I only want the best for them, so hopefully he will have a longer, better life in correct conditions.
Old 20-07-2009, 07:32 PM
Postaholic Member
Send a message via MSN to stephenie191

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie h View Post
Thank you for your replies. I've done a bit more research and it does look like the skunk needs more humidity thant the leucistic, so i'm off to buy another viv for one of them tomorrow. The skunk had no humidity in pet shop but he has moved straight into the wet moss and curled up and gone to sleep. I only want the best for them, so hopefully he will have a longer, better life in correct conditions.
Could try an exo terra glass viv.

They are often cheaper than wooden vivs and good for holding humidity
Old 21-07-2009, 03:49 PM
Forum Citizen

Its best to have them all seperate, even females can fight and stress each other out.
Old 21-07-2009, 05:26 PM

Just in from work. I kept the leucistic in a small container overnight so no fighting could happen. I now have the new viv for her, gonna set it up now and everyone has their own viv apart from the lepards who have been together for over a year. Thanks for the advice.