Pair of Beardies sizes? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 21-07-2009, 05:22 PM
Hatchling
Default Pair of Beardies sizes?

Hi all

I have had a pair of Bearded Dragons now for about a month to 6 weeks and when i got the pair i was told they are sure they are both female but can't be 100% sure due to their size

Both dragons were pretty much the same size when i got them but now i have one which is close to double or half size bigger than the other and the larger ones looks well filled out but the smaller one looks skinnier but you can't see any bones showing in the skin if you see what i mean.

Is this normal for a pair i am guessing one will be dominant and grow larger than the other?

Thanks
Cj
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21-07-2009, 08:47 PM
Super Regular

that sounds slightly unusual i dont supose you have noticed them bullying? males and females are often very simillary sized.

do you know how to sex them?

if you raise theyre tails and look at the cloacal opening (the hole) a male with have two slight lumps and a row of little dots these are called femoral pores, the easiest way is to check for two buldges on the tails under side im sure some one else could help you better but d deffo keep an eye on them to make sure the smaller isnt being bullyied or acting strange.
Old 21-07-2009, 11:48 PM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ82 View Post
Hi all

I have had a pair of Bearded Dragons now for about a month to 6 weeks and when i got the pair i was told they are sure they are both female but can't be 100% sure due to their size

Both dragons were pretty much the same size when i got them but now i have one which is close to double or half size bigger than the other and the larger ones looks well filled out but the smaller one looks skinnier but you can't see any bones showing in the skin if you see what i mean.

Is this normal for a pair i am guessing one will be dominant and grow larger than the other?

Thanks
Cj
Dragons can grow at considerable rates. Some dragons can remain small for various reasons and some can grow at a remarkable rate!

The only concern here could be that if you are housing them together one is getting more live food or infact being bullied/intimidated by the other. Male dragons can be extremely territorial.

In my opinion bearded dragons should not be housed together.

Best way to sex a beardy is to place him/her on a flat surface and lift the tail up almost towards the head, then follow advise as above!!

If you could get some clear pictures and post them I could have a go at sexing them for you.

Hope this helps.

Jackie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-07-2009, 06:16 PM
Super Regular

We housed our beardies together when we first got them and had the same thing - one was growing loads quicker.We never saw any violence or aggression but it was clear one was thriving and wasn't - the smaller one wasn't skinny as such, just not as big as the other one. We separated ours as we decided it was a dominance issue and we wanted to give the smaller one a stress free life. She's loads happier on her own now.