Thinking of a new family member - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 22-07-2009, 07:15 PM
Super Regular
Default Thinking of a new family member

Having been told when I joined up that I wouldn't be able to stick to 1 Rep. I now find myself wanting/yerning for a baby beardie.

I have 1,000,000,000 posts (slight exageration), and I still want 1. I have read about viv size, heating, lighting and feeding and all round care.

My questions is this, I work between 10am and 9pm 5 days a week and I live by myself except for Jester, if I was to feed beardie on a morning before I leave would it be ok to feed again when I get back as I think I've got it right they need fed twice a day, or is the time gap to long.

If because of work commitments means the time between feeds is to long then I'll have to kurb my wanting and stick just to Jester and the fish, but I would love 1.

Any and all advice is greatfully received.

John

Old 22-07-2009, 07:26 PM
Forum Citizen

I have to say I think 9pm feeding would be too late unfortunately!
Mainly because they need the heat on for 2 hours after they eat so they can digest there food and that would mean it would be 11 pm earliest you could turn off the lights and I think that would be too late for the beardie!

But that is only what I have read, I'm sure someone more experienced would be able to give you more advice. If you are after a lizard, something like a crested gecko might be a good idea, as they are nocturnal they only need feeding late in the evening. So you may be better off looking for a more nocturnal lizard!

Old 22-07-2009, 07:34 PM
Default RE Thinking of a new family member

I Would Have to agree with above, i am sorry but you can't keep one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-07-2009, 08:59 PM
Super Regular

I have been doing a bit more reading, is it right that a 4-8 month old beardie only needs feeding once a day and an adult once every other day, but veggies for both every day. If this is right then maybe I could get a 6 month old beardie. Not quite a baby but still would be love from the start.

John
Old 22-07-2009, 09:10 PM
Super Citizen
Red face Beardie

Hi, I have for sale at the moment a 10month old Rankin Dragon a smaller version of a Beardie.

He gets fed once aday, he feeds daily on salad/veg and locusts and mealworms every other day.

I have him on a timer so that it gets turned on at 8am and turned off at 8pm.

He comes with a complete setup. everything you would need. Lighting and heating etc.

I am asking for £90 for everything, but are open to offers.

Good luck

Regards Mark.
Old 23-07-2009, 01:05 PM
Hatchling

Hi

Im very new to this fourm (my 1st ever post here) and allso thinking about getting a new pet a bearded dragon. I allso sometimes do odd work times meeing I may not be home for feeding time so one ider I had was get one of these

Cat Mate C10 Automatic Cat/Dog Feeder: Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors

or something smaller so it can hold some live food or veg and just spring open (hopefully not catapult the beardy across the viv) at the time I set. surely there must be other people out there that carnt be home to feed there lizards at sutible times what do thay do? would really like to know
Old 23-07-2009, 01:29 PM
Super Regular

Sounds like a good idea, I am sure people will say that if you are not there to care for your pet then don't get one. But like you say you can't always be there at feeding time because of work or what ever. I found this at the Argos web site.Buy Clockwork Operated Pet Feeder. at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for . £20. This shouldn't throw beardie anywhere. There is also an electric one on there, Buy Small Electronic Pet Feeder. at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for . for nearly £40.

I would like to hear any comment on these ideas for the times that you just can't be there, obviously they wouldn't be full time options, just for the neccesary.

John.
Old 23-07-2009, 02:02 PM
Super Citizen

Bump I want to know about these items too, as 1 my previous threads I'm not home 1 and half days a week and would like to know could I use this for them days?
Old 23-07-2009, 03:41 PM
Forum Citizen

i would like to see you put crickets in them

and what would you do if you dragon sat on the lid???

RFUK Member No: 2061

Old 23-07-2009, 03:59 PM
Premier Citizen
Send a message via MSN to bignick Send a message via Skype™ to bignick

you get a flying dragon lmao