new beardie - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 23-07-2009, 05:28 PM
Super Regular
Talking new beardie

this is my first beardie bought off another forum member,i know he is on sand but prev owner had him on sand for last 4yrs with no problems so i thought why change,been feeding on med hoppers gave him 2 today would just like to know exactly how many he should get, every day or every other day have been putting fresh salad and fruit as well.he seems to be settling ok ,will sit on his rock looking about then will hide away is this normal.think i have temps right about 98 hot spot,80 cool end.please be gentle with any advice as i am a newbie.cheers all.
0.1.0Grammostola Rosea
0.0.1B.Smithi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23-07-2009, 05:35 PM
Super Regular

I would try getting him or her closer to the UV light.

Change the sand, I understand its been on it before but its surely going to lead to impaction, either that or slate him an area where he can eat without being on the subtrate.
1.0 Heteredon Nasicus
1.0 Ceratophrys ornata
Old 23-07-2009, 05:45 PM
Super Regular

thanks for that , have sand coloured slate/slab in viv will feed him on that have put log under uv hoping he will use that to get nearer uv.
0.1.0Grammostola Rosea
0.0.1B.Smithi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 24-07-2009, 04:59 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cants View Post
I would try getting him or her closer to the UV light.

Change the sand, I understand its been on it before but its surely going to lead to impaction, either that or slate him an area where he can eat without being on the subtrate.
You will get alot of the sand thing on here mate , sand is each keepers preferance either they agree or not personally i like to recreate as a natural enviroment as possible and sand is closer to this than vinyal tile kitchen roll etc i keep all babies on kitchen roll as young beardies have habit of missing .... my eldest is now on sand there are many diff types i would avoid calci sand however... but again its up to you

Old 24-07-2009, 05:13 PM
Hatchling

I would have a basking spot of 110-115f.
Old 24-07-2009, 05:15 PM
Hatchling

The best sand is washed and sieved play sand,don't go with calci sand due to impaction risk. The play sand is cheap from Argos.
Old 24-07-2009, 05:18 PM
Super Citizen
Default Beardie

Dont use sand at all, we have two beardies neither on sand, plenty of logs and slate to climb on. Sand just isnt necessary.
Old 25-07-2009, 05:20 PM
Hatchling
Send a message via Yahoo to Mrs Swans

Yeah we had 2 beardies and the best is to keep them on wood chippings. It prefents them from eating sand when they hunting to, especially young ones. And is easier to clean.
Old 26-07-2009, 03:23 PM
Forum Citizen

[QUOTE=Mrs Swans;4377611]Yeah we had 2 beardies and the best is to keep them on wood chippings. It prefents them from eating sand when they hunting to, especially young ones. And is easier to clean.[/QUOTE

sorry but impactation would occur with wood chippings if they eat that by accident too ...

like i say loads of diff opinions also impactation is rare occurance and more often that not its the size of prey not the substrate obviously it can happen ... But we could all get run over but we still cross roads

until i personally experiance problems with adults on sand i feel its fine lots of prof breeders place there adults on sand too so cant be that often ..
agree that babies are best off on kitchen roll etc

Old 26-07-2009, 04:32 PM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenw View Post
You will get alot of the sand thing on here mate , sand is each keepers preferance either they agree or not personally i like to recreate as a natural enviroment as possible and sand is closer to this than vinyal tile kitchen roll etc i keep all babies on kitchen roll as young beardies have habit of missing .... my eldest is now on sand there are many diff types i would avoid calci sand however... but again its up to you
Bearded dragons are desert dwelling creatures. It is often assumed the correct natural substrate for these creatures is sand, this is infact incorrect, in the wild they live on hard packed clay like soil not particle sand.