water dragon - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 28-07-2009, 10:09 PM
Default water dragon

hi all, has anyone any usefull info on these fantastic dragons? the exotic pet shops dont seem to care for the animal as such. i want the best for my little chap and have found that chatting to fellow owners with more experience is the best way forward,
i have learnt a lot from this forum and think it is a fantastic site for anyone regardless if you are new or old to the hobbie.
a big thank you to all that care for their pets and take the time to share helpful tips so we can all give our lizards the best we can
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29-07-2009, 04:04 PM
Ultra Citizen

One thing i'll say is that be wary as it gets older. My friend had one that kept attacking it's reflection in it's viv door and ended up getting brain damage and had to be put down. The vet said it was the equivalent age of a teenager and it was getting aggresive

They are stunning though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crab Man View Post
Last edited by Crab Man; Today at 01:20 PM.. Reason: iPod predictive spelling making me look like a Yank
Old 01-08-2009, 02:45 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by gecks View Post
hi all, has anyone any usefull info on these fantastic dragons? the exotic pet shops dont seem to care for the animal as such. i want the best for my little chap and have found that chatting to fellow owners with more experience is the best way forward,
i have learnt a lot from this forum and think it is a fantastic site for anyone regardless if you are new or old to the hobbie.
a big thank you to all that care for their pets and take the time to share helpful tips so we can all give our lizards the best we can
tricia's water dragon page is probably the best online info you'll find. its pretty darn good and kept me right and covers pretty much everything you'll need to know.

water dragons are great but need a lot of space and water. i have 2 and neither bash into the glass at all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2009, 10:52 PM
Gold Star Member

ditto about tricias water dragon website, its the best around.

snout rubbing is a major problem with water dragons, so make sure there are as little reflective surfaces as possible.
If a WD rubs its nose too much it will wear away its flesh and is the susceptible to mouth rot with is treatable but irreversible. If mouth rot isn't treated, it will lead to death
Old 02-08-2009, 05:02 PM
Premier Member

Water dragons only smack their face against glass if their vivs are too small.

An adult will need a minimum of 4ft x 4ft x 2ft viv

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildlifewarrior View Post
I cant be bothered with people like that anymore....i just burry them in the garden
Old 04-08-2009, 08:58 PM
Ultra Citizen

hi mate i have 2 water dragons myself and will agree that Tricias website is ab fab!

They need to be misted everyday to keep humidity up and will require a large viv!
They love to climb so put a few big branches in their viv with lots of greenery in there 2 and they will be happy chaps!

They will also require a large water bowl..i have a big washing up bowl in mine n wrks brill!
Before i got her 1 of mine had rubbed her snout so much that it came off..bless her but shes fine now and even in a large viv she dsnt like reflections and will occasionaly window dance...until mummy gets her out for cuddles so a non reflective glass would be suitable,mine are yearlings and i feed them both on a mixture of locusts,crickets and mealworms..but ONLY feed them mealworms as a treat,3 or 4 a wk as there very fatty and could lead to heart attack if there fed 2 many!

I also handle mine alot and let them run around my living room to get some exercise.

If u find he hides sometimes..dnt worry..take a look at him as he maybe in slough (shed) 1 of mine hides behind a plant or submerges unda water for ages wen shes in slough!

Hope all this info helps mate x x

Old 04-08-2009, 09:07 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by chondro13 View Post
Water dragons only smack their face against glass if their vivs are too small.
Thats not true atall, a CWD in a wooden viv with glass front will snout rub and glass dance much less than one in the same size full glass viv. They dont like the reflections.

A good way to try and lessen or prevent snout rub in a glass viv is to use a background for the sides and rear. Some people also find that lining the front of the viv with plants (usually fake, plants are tasty to CWD's ) helps a lot aswell
Old 09-08-2009, 01:48 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadFerret! View Post
Thats not true atall, a CWD in a wooden viv with glass front will snout rub and glass dance much less than one in the same size full glass viv. They dont like the reflections.

A good way to try and lessen or prevent snout rub in a glass viv is to use a background for the sides and rear. Some people also find that lining the front of the viv with plants (usually fake, plants are tasty to CWD's ) helps a lot aswell
totally agree,only 1 of mine window dances! like i said 1 of the best ways is to get non reflective glass..it maybe expensive tho so a cheaper way would be to put plants at the front! x