Two Bearded Dragons - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 29-07-2009, 04:29 PM
Regular
Question Two Bearded Dragons

Having seen some lovely baby bearded dragons at my reptile store, and i have decided to buy two! What size viv is needed for two baby beardies, then two adults? Also,is it better to buy one, wait untill it grows a bit, then get another one? When can beardies be sexed, so i know i have two females and not two male or male/female beardies, as i dont know enough or want to breed them. Thanksfor any help!
1.0 Royal Python
0.0.35 fish
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29-07-2009, 04:52 PM
Premier Citizen
Location: I live in my little world most of the time but I occasionally come out to visit BRIGHTON!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddsleepjunkie View Post
Having seen some lovely baby bearded dragons at my reptile store, and i have decided to buy two! What size viv is needed for two baby beardies, then two adults? Also,is it better to buy one, wait untill it grows a bit, then get another one? When can beardies be sexed, so i know i have two females and not two male or male/female beardies, as i dont know enough or want to breed them. Thanksfor any help!
I would get two separate vivs if your gonna get two beardies...you can usually sex them from about 4 months onwards, sometimes a bit earlier...even if you turn out to get two females they can still sometimes fight and it's not recommended to keep them together because:

1 they could fight
2 How would you keep an eye on their poo...if something was wrong you wouldn't know whose it was, also how would you know whose eaten what?...unless you plan on hand feeding them.
3 similar to above if one had any kind of illness it could be passed on to the other
4 and they are really solitary lizards

so yeah i'd say it;s best to keep them separate but if you really want to keep them together to viv has to be at leats 5 ftx2ftx2ft but bigger preferably and it would be best to wait until they are 4 months plus so you could make sure they are females.

hope this helps and good luck! Beardies are amazing!

I miss my old pets who are no longer here :-( R.I.P my furry, feathery and slithery friends xxx

Also, my mum, dad and other family and friends are AMAZING, Just saying.
Old 29-07-2009, 05:31 PM
Regular
Smile

Thanks, it'll be easier keeping one anyway! Will reconsider getting two, but think i'll just get one for now since i haven't kept reps before... oh, to convince my mother now!
1.0 Royal Python
0.0.35 fish
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29-07-2009, 07:17 PM
Premier Citizen
Location: I live in my little world most of the time but I occasionally come out to visit BRIGHTON!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddsleepjunkie View Post
Thanks, it'll be easier keeping one anyway! Will reconsider getting two, but think i'll just get one for now since i haven't kept reps before... oh, to convince my mother now!

lol good on you...they are lovely as pets and can be really friendly ... they also each have their own personalities...just tell your mum they can be really easily tamed, are fairly easy to look after and lovely and friendly lol

good luck!

I miss my old pets who are no longer here :-( R.I.P my furry, feathery and slithery friends xxx

Also, my mum, dad and other family and friends are AMAZING, Just saying.
Old 31-07-2009, 03:25 AM
Super Regular

We have two but had to seperate them because:
1) The male is growing quicker than the female
2) The female had a tail nip when we got her
3) The male was stealing all the food and being really dominant

We will hopefully pair them up when she gets bigger and better! But not have them together all the time.

Also, to convince your Mum, my brother is ten and he has tamed and cares for the two beardies himself. They are quite easy to look after. Our Mum wasn't sure at first but she is totally besotted with the beardies and the iggy! Not too keen on the Royal though!!

NB: We were told that feeding costs for 1 beardie would be about £5 a week, in fact its more like £10 for live food plus your veg too (but we have this anyway) Our male eats a box of locust a day!! For the pair we spend approx £20 a week on live food and veg!!