first lizard. help? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 30-07-2009, 10:21 AM
Default first lizard. help?

Hi ive decided finally on a leopard gecko as my lizard
Ive got the vivarium set up and ready i just worry thats it not going to be warm enough for him.
Iv'e got a 100w red bulb on one side of his house, should i get a small heat mat aswell and/or another light? or will he be ok with just the one?
Would appreciate help as im a fully fledged newbie
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30-07-2009, 05:04 PM
Premier Citizen

Congratulations on deciding to get a leo; they're wonderful creatures!

The ideal temperature range for a leo is 31C - 32C (88F - 90F) at the hot end, down to about 24C (75F) at the cold end. The easiest way to attain these temperatures is often just using a heat mat (controlled by a thermostat), which covers between about a third and a half of the floor area of the viv. Heat mats are often used in preference to bulbs as they heat the substrate (as leos absorb heat through their bellies, it's the temperature of the substrate that's crucial).

Website for all things geckoey
Old 06-08-2009, 03:44 PM
5 Star Member

Hi,

I would get a heat mat as well to cover between a third to half of the viv, the leopard gecko will use the heat on its stomach to help digest its food.

Hope this helps and good luck with the leo.

Old 06-08-2009, 04:00 PM
Super Regular

My set up is similar to yours (although my bulb wattage is 75w...and in a 3' viv I'm hitting ideal temperatures at both ends), but I have no heat mat and never have had.

When buying my set-up I took in the 'Leos gain heat through their bellies' arguments, but weighed them up against the fact that, in the wild, the heat would have been provided from overhead and absorbed by the ground. I figured that as I was going to use a substrate other than paper towels, I figured the substrate heat absorption would suffice. And it does. My leos are healthy and have no problems digesting their food. They appear in the evening when the viv temperature dips to it's night-time level, and remain active through the night.

I'm not suggesting my method is any better than the heat-mat option, but as you already have your bulb solution in place I think it's fair to tell you that (in my opinion) further expense is unnecessary.
1.0.0 Yemen Chamelion : Bruno
0.1.0 Shrieking Cockatiel : Chip