Reptile Forums banner

I have housing which animal

820 views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  AndyJY 
#1 ·
Hi I have a spare aquarium unfotunately the edge of the corners have chipped and im to para to hold water in it. I am wondering if there are any exotic pets that this would house comfortably i'm not fussy about species as i like all animals.

The outside dimensions are 48"x20"x30" (30" high) it is constructed for 15mm glass with the base being 20mm glass it holds approx 125 US gallons or 485 litres.

So thats the housing now which animal.......as i have 2 dogs whatever animal will need to stay in this housing all of there life and will rarely be handled but i dont want something that might get to aggresive for handling as health checks will need be done.....I also have a gerbil it is only very occasionaly handled it gets to smell my hand during tank maintenence, feeds etc so has stayed tame and when it needs handled i am able to do so with ease are ther any exotic animals with these traits.

The animal it doesnt matter if it is a solitary one or one that needs be housed with others of its kind as long as the housing is adequate numbers don't matter.

Any help apreciated :)

Andy.

ps. i can part fill it does not leak so amphibians are also an option

See less See more
#3 ·
thanks for the quick reply :). are beardies better solitary or with others?...beginners pet sorry i think i could look after any pet successfully with enough research what is a beginners pet do you get 1 for a year or so to learn then move on to something more chalenging....what happens to the beginners pet do u keep it or rehome it ??? if ye keep changing pets regarding how long a time u have looked after them in order to progress surely that can lead to a lot of unsettled animals which may be passed on to a less dedicated owner...when i do get an animal i will have it for it's lifetime. this is the reason im asking my first question of what will suit my space and wont overgrow the area im not asking what is easiest just what options do i have regarding housing. im looking for as much as possible then i will narrow them down. thanks again

#6 ·
It's just an easy thing to keep, and as this is your first herp, isn't that what you want?

A bearded dragon is a very different creature from a mbuna cichlid.

Bearded dragons are undemanding, easy to keep, and good lifelong pets.
Beardies are solitary but they grow large. They are usually well-behaved but some people have had nasty ones.

If you don't have much free time I'm afraid your earlier claim is indeed false: sorry i think i could look after any pet successfully with enough research
As a lot of species require a lot of time. The bearded dragon is an exception to this and is a fun pet to keep.

#12 ·
thanks for the input i'm gona go with frogs whiteys tree frogs maybe as i was fasinated by these on a holiday to greece when i was about 12. i loved the calls they made through the night :). whats puttin me off a beardie is that i can picture it staring out the tank wanting out but i wont be able to do this because of the dogs so it would sadden me somewhat.

first thing im goin to do though is double the height of the enclosure to 60" this will leave me 19" to ceiling for lighting and air extraction. so it will now be approx...250 US gallons or 970 litres capacity. this is goin to be at least a year long project before i can add frogs but a few questions..

1/ will this be enough height for them and approx how many could i house in this space ????

2/ what types of plants should i be looking for????

3/ is there any lighting for frogs that fit an e40 fitting?????

4/ what is the captive breeding success of these????

hoping to have a waterfall and a sprinkler inside :). thanks for help :).

Andy

#14 · (Edited)
how long does it take the plants n moss to grow like. ye cannae build a space ship on earth lol : victory: fishing, petrol takes ma cash at the moment tbh n av been sayin a will have a winter break for so many years now maybe this will be the one n a will put the spare cash to this project :). got me wood n ariel lightglaze the day to extend the tank so off to a flier :).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.