New member, have'nt got a clue ! - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 01-08-2009, 04:40 PM
Default New member, have'nt got a clue !

Hi everyone, I have joined the forum but it is my 10 year old son who is soon to be a reptile owner.

He would like a Bearded Dragon and we have looked into a few things and read a few reviews but I want to make sure that we have everything covered before taking the next step.

As he is paying for most of the setup himself he cannot afford top of the range everything but after looking at classifieds etc it seems that a top setup can be had for under half the new price if you hit on at the right time.

To start off he wants the vivarium in his room so we cannot get anything too big to start with so I was thinking of a 24" setup.

I have read not to use a normal light or a heat pad for Bearded Dragons and her who must be obeyed insists that the tank is not an eyesore.

We have seen some nice looking 'out the box' setups that are visually attractive but are thye simply that, they look good but are about as much use as a sponge leg in a flood !

So, what we want is a nice looking habitat in as new condition with the correct lights, thermostats, heat lamps etc preferably in the North East or Northumberland area.

I have also read that a tiled floor is easier to keep clean rather than sand, bark etc, what advice do you all have regarding this subject.

Also he would like to find a very brightly coloured Dragon rather than the normal dark coloured type, will this be the Red variety that he wants and will they be available in this area. I have noticed buying privately they can be bought from around £15 upwards while in the shops they are around £50 upwards !

What age is he better off going for, very young (7/8 weeks), a few months or what ?

My nearest shop is near Newcastle I think but is there better places ?

If anyone local has a very good setup that looks nice and is a good price for a child to buy himself then let me know, as I mentioned we are not 'allowed' any ugly, old looking setups so want something nice.

Any advice, breeders nearby etc is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2009, 05:45 PM
Premier Citizen

have you posted this in the lizard section or classified section ,u will probably gert more replies in there, just do a wanted post and also browse the classifieds for deals,you may need to travel a fair bit to get exactly what you want.. but its better IMO that you buy from someone who knows the animals history and temperament...
ive seen full beardie sets with everything you need including the lizard.. for as low as 60 to 80 pounds...
try pre loved.com therre a loads of deald on there..
happy hunting and good luck with your new rep......
Old 01-08-2009, 06:26 PM
Super Citizen
Send a message via MSN to oobernoob
Talking

Welcome to the forum!
Here are some bits of info for you, just to help clear things up a little. Bare in mind though that many people vary their husbandry of Beardies in subtle ways here and there, so you are very likely to see and hear different opinions on what is what. I've tried to give you a basic overview from which you yourself can build from.

What you need:

A vivarium. Wooden holds heat well, plastic cleans better/faster/easier.
3 to 4 foot in length is prefferable. Your beardie is going to get to about 2foot STT (Snout to Tail) so anything smaller is going to be a little cramped. Whilst the beardie isn't this size as a youngster, it will grow quickly and could easily reach adult size in around 9 months. You'll be spending more by upgrading if you get a 2 foot viv to start with.

A UVB. A UVB tube light is ESSENTIAL! Without these rays, the beardie cannot absorb the calcium it eats. This will result in it suffering from what is known as MBD (Metabolic Bone Disease) and symptoms include wiggly limbs, missing limbs, disformaties in the general bone structure including the skull. The UVB tube light needs to be a minimum of 10% strength, the strengths are mentioned on the boxes. The light needs to be no further away than 12 inches from the lizard, else the rays dissipate and become weak.

A Heat source. A heat mat is not much use, unless your room gets cold at night and you want to have an ambient temperature of around 65-70 fahrenheit. The main heat will come from a spot bulb, or a ceramic set up. This bulb would be at the warm end of the vivarium, and it would run using a thermostat set to 95 fahrenheit at the basking spot. The heat for the rest of the vivarium will run from this point, cooling as it gets towards the cooler end of the vivarium, to around 75-80 fahrenheit. This would run for approximately 12-14 hours of the day, and be off at night, where the thermostated heat mat would kick in, or, not kick in, depending on what your inhouse room temperatures are.

Substrate. Slate, kitchen roll, newspaper, or lino are ideal, especially for youngsters as these cannot be ingested. Sand is not the best choice as it can be ingested, yet some use it without any issues at all. Calci-sand is bad news though and should be avoided!

Diet. Locusts, crickets, mealworms are great food for beardies when they are young. Waxworms will fatten them up, and can sometimes make them little porkers that eat nothing other than waxworms (similar to kids & McDonalds ). As the beardies grow older, vegetation rich in irons is good for them, rocket leaves are great, along with other various mustard greens. Beardies will, over time, move from live food to vegetation, and sometimes will move to eating vegetation altogether, taking livefood items only once in a while. Supplementation is a must for beardies also. 'Nutrobal' is a varied complex vitamin powder offering the beardie lots of the essentials it requires. Nutrobal should be dusted onto the food one day per week. Calcium is a must also, dusted onto the food every 5 days of 7, but remember that without the vitamin D3 from the UVB rays, it cannot utilise this calcium!

Decor. Beardies tend to like the barron effect, with not too much going on. Offer a beardie a hide when too young and it may well spend so much of its time in there that it will not get the UVB it needs, nor come out to bask in the heat either. Some may never use it, some may live in it. It's 50/50 really. A few simple plants, and a basking spot as a rock or a log or piece of driftwood seems to work wonders for them.

........i think that that covers the thick of it...if not, ask, or read on adn someone will have pointed out what i have missed out i am sure of it!

Paul

"Sit Vis Vobiscum
"

Last edited by oobernoob; 01-08-2009 at 06:30 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2009, 11:12 PM
Super Regular

^^^^ very well put in a short and sweet effect you need the biggest viv you can possibly fit/ afford make sure you have lots of time and money ready reps arnt easy pets to keep.uvb is also needed.
also i would deffenatly recomend using a heat lamp on a habistat (thermostat is essential what ever is used as not to over heat) as a heat lamp can heat the entire viv and provide an excellent basking spots.
as noted food you want crickets locuts preferably roaches but i dont know of any local shops, mine are around 10 weeks and going through 2-3 tubs a week.
if your going to get a beardy you have deffinatly chosen a great pet seeing as your son is young there alot harder wearing than other lizards and are great to handle i wish you the best of luck and also never forget to dust your live foods regulary so your dragons dont delvelop MBD theres a usfull thread in this section about it
[FONT=Comic Sans
0.01 Crested Gecko (Zion)
1.1.0 Dogs (Dexter the staffy and Kaya the english)

OTHER CAPTIVE SPECIES CARED FOR.]

0.0.2 Peacock tree frogs
0.0.1 Chille rose T
0.0.2 Grey tree frogs
0.0.1 Royal python
0.0.1 Whites tree frog
0.0.1 Amel corn
0.0.1 White striped gecko
0.0.1 Albino cali king
0.0.1 Grossman gecko
0.0.4 Yellow belly turtles
0.0.2 Emperor scorpions
0.0.3 Pygmy chameleons
0.0.1 Uromastyx
0.0.1 Curly tailed lizard
0.0.2 Axolotl
0.0.2 Leopard lizards
0.0.8 Fire bellied newts
0.0.2 Leopard geckos
1.1.0 CWDS
0.0.1 Frog eyed gecko
0.0.4 Green anoles

]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]~~~
Old 01-08-2009, 11:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iang27 View Post
To start off he wants the vivarium in his room so we cannot get anything too big to start with so I was thinking of a 24" setup.
a beardie will grow out of a 2ft viv in a matter of months, you'll also struggle to get the right heats. They need a 115f basking spot with a cool end of around 80f and 2ft really isn't enough space to get the right heat.

Quote:
I have read not to use a normal light or a heat pad for Bearded Dragons and her who must be obeyed insists that the tank is not an eyesore.
heat mats aren't for beardies and a normal light is the best thing to use, although a normal spot lamp will direct the heat down. Reptile heat bulbs are just normal spot lamps with pretty picture on the box.

Quote:
We have seen some nice looking 'out the box' setups that are visually attractive but are thye simply that, they look good but are about as much use as a sponge leg in a flood !
yep, pretty much spot on.

Quote:
So, what we want is a nice looking habitat in as new condition with the correct lights, thermostats, heat lamps etc preferably in the North East or Northumberland area.
You should be able to find what you're looking for in the classifieds, but aim for a 4ft viv straight from the start. If you don't have room for a 4ft then consider a rankins dragon (like a mini beardie) and a 3ft viv.

Quote:
I have also read that a tiled floor is easier to keep clean rather than sand, bark etc, what advice do you all have regarding this subject.
Sand isn't advised for young ones and like you say... tiles are easier to clean and can look really nice.

Quote:
Also he would like to find a very brightly coloured Dragon rather than the normal dark coloured type, will this be the Red variety that he wants and will they be available in this area. I have noticed buying privately they can be bought from around £15 upwards while in the shops they are around £50 upwards !
if you shop around you can get them cheap like you say although the price rises depending on the morph.

Quote:
What age is he better off going for, very young (7/8 weeks), a few months or what ?
All down to personal choice, they're cuter as babies but more handleable when they get older.