Baby Leo Gecko advice - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 01-08-2009, 07:28 PM
Default Baby Leo Gecko advice

Just over a month ago we had two leopard gecko hatchlings Uno and Bumble, and discovered they both had MBD. After contacting a vet and doing everything that we were supposed to do they both died a few weeks ago probably from the MBD.

We have now got one baby hatchling that was born on the 18th of July and its probably the last one that will come of the adults as we have separated them. We're obviously apprehensive about making any mistakes and want to do the best for the hatchling and if possible, I would like some advice.

We have a UV light for the baby in the viv so hopefully this will help him grow his bones. We tried it with a meal worm dusted with calcium today as it is about a week old so it may be ready to eat but it wasnt interested.

What I'm not sure of is if we are supposed to be giving him some other supplements apart from the powdered calcium? I've heard of Neutrabal (?) and if there is anything else we need?

We so want to keep this baby healthy so any advice is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2009, 08:03 PM
Super Citizen
Send a message via MSN to oobernoob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenvidler86 View Post
Just over a month ago we had two leopard gecko hatchlings Uno and Bumble, and discovered they both had MBD. After contacting a vet and doing everything that we were supposed to do they both died a few weeks ago probably from the MBD.

We have now got one baby hatchling that was born on the 18th of July and its probably the last one that will come of the adults as we have separated them. We're obviously apprehensive about making any mistakes and want to do the best for the hatchling and if possible, I would like some advice.

We have a UV light for the baby in the viv so hopefully this will help him grow his bones. We tried it with a meal worm dusted with calcium today as it is about a week old so it may be ready to eat but it wasnt interested.

What I'm not sure of is if we are supposed to be giving him some other supplements apart from the powdered calcium? I've heard of Neutrabal (?) and if there is anything else we need?

We so want to keep this baby healthy so any advice is greatly appreciated.
This is what i do with my hatchlings, and for me it is very succesful.
Once hatched, put it into a RUB with kitchen towel, a hide (half toilet roll tube) a drinking dish (milk bottle lid) a calcium dish (milk bottle lid) and a wet hide (upturned yoghurt pot with an entrance cut out, and some sphagnum moss inside, drenched and squeezed out).
The RUB is heated from the back (or underneath your choice) at 90 degrees fahrenheit, set by a thermostat with the probe being in a similar set up 'control' RUB.
I offer food (2 crickets, very small, approx 5mm length) on day 3. I leave this in over night, and remove them if not eaten in the morning.
I offer food again on day 5, this time 3 crickets.
Day 6 i offer 4 crickets dusted with calcium.
Day 7 i offer 6 crickets dusted with calcium.
Day 8 i offer 8 crickets, not dusted.
Day 9 i offer 10, dusted.
Day 10 i offer 10, dusted.
Day 11 i offer 10, not dusted.
Day 12 i offer 12, dusted.
Day 13 i offer 12, dusted.
Day 14 i offer 14, dusted.
Day 15 i offer 15, not dusted.
Day 16 i offer 15 dusted with calcium & 'Nutrobal'.

This continues as a routine of:
  • Dusted
  • Dusted
  • Not
  • Dusted
  • Dusted
  • Not
  • Dusted + Nutrobal
I weigh on day 1, 4, 7, 14, 28, and every two weeks there on until around 100 days have past.
Once they hit 10 grams i move them into bigger RUB's (for me, that means moving from a 3Ltr to a 5Ltr). Once they hit 20 grams i offer them for sale, or get bigger RUB's for the ones i aim to keep

If you read this and it is all a tad too mental to take in in this format, send me a PM with your email address and i'll email you the charts i have made, as attachments so that you can work from those if you like.

Paul

"Sit Vis Vobiscum
"
Old 01-08-2009, 10:17 PM
Premier Citizen

on top of any dusting/gutloading regime i always offer a sml dish of calcium and i can see all do use the dishes.