Did I do everything ok? Beardie Question - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 02-08-2009, 09:57 AM
Default Did I do everything ok? Beardie Question

Hey Guys (and girls!)

As you know, Stanley died yesterday after just 2 weeks with us. Im still gutted that this has happened.

Can I check I did everything ok before making my decision on what to do next.

I bought him and was told he was nearly 12 weeks (reputable pet shop) got home, posted pics on here and with other friends was told he was a LOT younger. (poss 5-7 wks) He ate randomly for the first few day, and just seemed to be taking a week to settle in.

Viv set up (originally with wood chips, which i removed after day one and replaced with kitchen towel) Heat Lamp over a rock, which got to 105 degrees each day, turned off at night, UV Light on from 8am to about 9.30pm (heat lamp was thermostatically regulated) Hottest area of viv 105 and coolest about 80. I have a dual electronic thermometer which confirmed this.

First few days the humidity kept going to 50% but after changing to smaller water bowl, it stayed around 40%

Stanley never drank from a water bowl (not that i witnessed) but took from dropper) in the two weeks I had him, he probably only ate about 20 crickets, (small and small to medium, black and brown) he didnt touch any salad. Crickets were dusted with nutrabol, then I changed to the calcium tub(name escapes me will check)

Day 8 he started to become sluggish, sleeping a lot more and didnt run when we took him from his viv. Thought he had just ate too much in one go. (he was still moving round the viv to get different temps but didnt look good)

Visited vet, checked for impaction, all clear, was pretty shit at everything else, but brought him home, started with the bathing, to help him shed a little more, he would just lie there not move.

Eventually got worse, and passed yesterday (day 13) Of course the pet shop only have a 7 day guarantee, but id like to go back for a chat today just incase im not the only one that lost their beardie.

What age can they sell beardies? Was it too young? Should this matter?
What else could I have done?

Any advice, criticism gratefully received, I dont want to be loosing another beardie so quickly!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2009, 11:15 AM
Gold Star Member

Please do not beat yourself up hun. If he was 12 weeks old and that small this could signify a problem with his growth.

Sounds like you did everything ok, did you spray his viv so he could lick water off surfaces?

I had a beardie that did the same as yours and also died, then another I got from the same clutch died too! Turns out most of clutch died. Obviously a clutch problem. So letting the shop know in any case is a must. A PM would let you know, the odds are he was a weak one. I so feel for you and wish you luck with another beardie hun. I have 5 horrors which eat me out of house and home LOL.

RIP baby Stanley.xxxxxx
Old 02-08-2009, 11:24 AM
Forum Citizen

sorry to here about your loss.
the only thing that strikes me is your basking temp. for a baby it needed to be higher. around 115 degrees. nutrabol twice a week and pure calcium dust 5 days from seven.only dust one feed per day but babies need a minimum or 2 live feeds per day.
i would definitly go back to the shop although they probably won't admit that they have a problem if you know what i mean. and don't speak quietly either if they are funny about it.

cath
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2009, 11:59 AM
Forum Citizen

I have seen a few of your threads and i am gutted for you over the loss of little Stanley

As others have said dont beat yourself up or blame yourself in any way for how he died, i dont want to upset you any more than you already are but i was looking at your pictures of him and i honestly dont think he looked healthy at all, for a reputable shop to sell you a stick thin beardie (as gorgeous as he was) with wood chip substrate they are the only people to blame in my eyes.

I can only advise if you are to get another beardie contact a breeder nearby who is dedicated to them and will give them the best possible start in life before he/she gets to you, dont give up on them over this mishap, i have lost one before and when i think back it looked ill when i bought it but as humans we try our best.

As for the vet pffffffffft!! im no expert but you just dont put a baby beardie on sand, best going with vinyl tiles, lino, kitchen towel etc

Once again sorry for your loss, keep your chin up

1.0 Bearded Dragon Bruce
Old 02-08-2009, 12:44 PM
Oh God - not her AGAIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim B View Post
I have seen a few of your threads and i am gutted for you over the loss of little Stanley

As others have said dont beat yourself up or blame yourself in any way for how he died, i dont want to upset you any more than you already are but i was looking at your pictures of him and i honestly dont think he looked healthy at all, for a reputable shop to sell you a stick thin beardie (as gorgeous as he was) with wood chip substrate they are the only people to blame in my eyes.

I can only advise if you are to get another beardie contact a breeder nearby who is dedicated to them and will give them the best possible start in life before he/she gets to you, dont give up on them over this mishap, i have lost one before and when i think back it looked ill when i bought it but as humans we try our best.

As for the vet pffffffffft!! im no expert but you just dont put a baby beardie on sand, best going with vinyl tiles, lino, kitchen towel etc

Once again sorry for your loss, keep your chin up
Couldn't have said better myself. Really am so sorry.
Old 02-08-2009, 03:40 PM
Default Thankyou

Thank you for the reassurance. I went back to the pet shop today and saw the remaining two babies that were still alive. One has a completely bent tail, which almost double backed on itself, and had a wonky leg, and the 2nd had a huge white lump on its belly. One of the girls started talking about calcium problems, but her boss soon shut her up! Very strange!

They both had reserved on the side, after telling them about Stanley, I got a full refund and offered money off another one, which of course I refused!

Whilst there I got talking to a great bloke about beardies, who said he keeps them - he had three. He gave me a number of a friend that is looking to rehome a beardie approx 5 months old. Ill post some pics when they come thru, and we are going to see her tomorrow.

Reading up more now to see what I need to do, obviously cleaning the viv out and going to bury Stanley this afternoon.
Old 02-08-2009, 03:51 PM
Super Citizen

Just make sure you scrub the viv and disinfect just incase
Old 02-08-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNelson View Post
Just make sure you scrub the viv and disinfect just incase
Yes doing that now. Thank you
Old 02-08-2009, 04:03 PM
5 Star Member

I am so sorry about Stanley but pleased that you have informed the pet shop and that you know now that what happened was not your fault,sadly this happens in nature and I hope that you are able to see this other beardie and you will probably notice the difference between this one and poor Stanley.Hope you get her and please dont blame yourself.My Beardie Elmo is 5 months and he is such fun,we love him to bits
Old 02-08-2009, 04:21 PM
Ultra Citizen

Bad luck, it sounds like you did everything ok. Hope everything goes better with your next one.