Horsfield tortoise help for beginner - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 02-08-2009, 05:25 PM
Default Horsfield tortoise help for beginner

Hi...I will be getting a horsfield tortoise hopefully within the week. I have just bought play sand and top soil advises should be 50:50 - should they be merged together or sand on one side and soil the other?. 1 more question whilst at the garden centre I had taken my list of suitable edible plants & asked have they been sprayed with any chemicals but they could not advise either way...If I buy any plants from the garden centre & wash them before offering to the tortoise is this ok? Thanks for any assistance, greatly appreciated....Kind regards Carl.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2009, 10:16 PM
Super Citizen
Reviews: 2

Hi... we have had our Russians (Horsfields) for two weeks now. The substrate we use is top soil (40%) and play sand (60%).
We mixed it all together and made it so that the floor level was hilly in some areas and flat in others.

Plants....hmm I bought seeds off ebay and have planted them in pots which sit in the table top.
I also go on weed collecting walks in areas that I know are chemical free!!!! and these are very few and far between...the Council loves to weed kill stuff up here. But I do give all the weeds a good wash just to be safe. I hope some of this helps.

Jingle Bells ;o)
Old 03-08-2009, 12:32 AM

Hi Krista...Thanks for your input - appreciated....Just want to make sure get off to a good start with tort in new home...Thanks again..Carl