First time Beardie keeper - question - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 02-08-2009, 11:08 PM
Regular
Default First time Beardie keeper - question

Hi

Just bought a 6 week old beardie and the whole setup but I have read on different sites that a young beardie should be using kitchen towel for the floor of the viv, the guy gave me corase beech chips. Is this safe ? Also got a uv strip lamp and a heating lamp which didnt work when I set it up, have to take back tomorrow. He also said I should use a heat mat on the back of the viv(glass viv) instead of underneath. When I turn the uv lamp and when working h.lamp should I also turn off the heat mat ?

He gave me a tub of medium locusts which he said I should add nutrobal 3 times a week, did this tonite and gave it 4/5 locusts but it hasnt touched any of them. Should I remove them before I turn in for the night ?

Cheers for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2009, 12:06 AM
Regular

The heat mat should be put on when you turn the beardie's light and heater off of an evening, then turn it off when you put the light and heater back on in the morning. I hand feed my young beardie, so there is no chance of her eating sand. But all animals are different, if yours will not hand feed then it would be best to put kitchen roll down until he/she gets a bit bigger. Feed him/her with the dusted locust two/three days a week.
I hope this helps.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:09 AM
Regular

almost forgot, yes you should remove the locust and try him with them again in the morning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2009, 08:28 AM
Regular

cheers fella
Old 03-08-2009, 09:44 AM
Premier Member
Send a message via MSN to AuntyLizard Send a message via Skype™ to AuntyLizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulb1912 View Post
Hi

Just bought a 6 week old beardie and the whole setup but I have read on different sites that a young beardie should be using kitchen towel for the floor of the viv, the guy gave me corase beech chips. Is this safe ? Also got a uv strip lamp and a heating lamp which didnt work when I set it up, have to take back tomorrow. He also said I should use a heat mat on the back of the viv(glass viv) instead of underneath. When I turn the uv lamp and when working h.lamp should I also turn off the heat mat ?

He gave me a tub of medium locusts which he said I should add nutrobal 3 times a week, did this tonite and gave it 4/5 locusts but it hasnt touched any of them. Should I remove them before I turn in for the night ?

Cheers for any help
Welcome to Forum and to beardie keeping. He probably didnt eat A) because he was settling in and B) there was not lighting. Beardies need the light to warm up and to be able to digest their food.

Bark chippings are really not a good idea for a 6 week old beardie unless you are going to feed outside the viv in a tub. I would use either kitchen roll, newspaper or lino at this age.

I am still wondering why rep shops are selling bearides with heat mats.. A beardie does not need heat at night unless your house temps fall below approx 58F. Even in winter most houses stay above this temp. I would invest in a decent dimming stat and ditch the heatmat/matstat. It is more important that your temps are spot on during the day. Basking spot of at least 110F hot end of 96F-98F and cool end of around 84Fish

Baby beardies need to be fed live food 2 times a day one of them dusted with calcium. Only when they reach 4 months old should you put them down to once a day and by the time they are adults they can be fed live everyotherday. Always make sure your beardie has a nice selection of veg available.

Liz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigA View Post
The heat mat should be put on when you turn the beardie's light and heater off of an evening, then turn it off when you put the light and heater back on in the morning. I hand feed my young beardie, so there is no chance of her eating sand. But all animals are different, if yours will not hand feed then it would be best to put kitchen roll down until he/she gets a bit bigger. Feed him/her with the dusted locust two/three days a week.
I hope this helps.
Heat mats are really not necessary at all.

It's good friends that walk beside you through the good times and carry you through the bad.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:51 AM
Regular

thanks very much, will need to go home later and change the flooring, I have ordered a few thermometers and think i will get dimming switch asap too

Cheers
Old 03-08-2009, 04:12 PM
Regular

liz hit the nail on the head with that one. I didn't realise you never had a thermastat paul. Good luck with the little fella, and I hope all go's well.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:06 PM
Regular

HI sorry ot be a pain

Changed the substrate to kitchen roll which not only looks better but I can now see the locusts which lets me know if its eating which its not.

Fitted the heat lamp around 4pm and it certainly looks fine, its alert and is basking away bu its letting the locusts walk all over it and still not eating, had it out of shop for around 26hours now. I have been putting drops of water on its nose so it can drink which it has been lapping up.

When should I start to panick regards eating, should I try some veg maybe, I ordered some crickets(small) from net as the locusts are medium size and look far to big for the wee thing.

This is him/her

I have split the viv into two as its so small just now

Old 04-08-2009, 09:50 AM
Premier Member
Send a message via MSN to AuntyLizard Send a message via Skype™ to AuntyLizard

Hi there again. I would just allow him to settle in for say at least 4 days. If he hasnt eaten by then let us know and we will go through a few more things. Check your temps are good. Look at the temps I gave you earlier in the post.

Liz

It's good friends that walk beside you through the good times and carry you through the bad.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:26 AM
Forum Citizen

i offer fresh veg in all my beardie tanks every day ,its there if they want it
some of my pets 1.1 boxerxstaffie ,1.0 cats( noddie )1+3 boas ( 0.2.amel corn snakes (baby+seth) 0.1 blood red beardie (ruby ),0.1hypo translucentxyellow red desert ) 01.0.6 citrus het translucent het hypo beardie,1.1 ghost corn,1.1anerycorns het hypo3.1.0 normal corns 0.02+amel corns 1.0 .0 amber motley .corns)1.0.2greenspot snow{dogdog}.2.1.17bearded dragons +01.01 hyper translucent pastel+ 1.0.0 royal 0.1 crimson corn 0/1vincent1.1het medusa purple stripe beardies 03.01citrusxpastel beardies 0.0.10 classic corns 0.01 salmon boa0.01 crinson corn 0.0.13 corn snakes all het for snow /anery,amel 0.0.9 baby beardies 0.01 crimson corn