Types of lizard - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 04-08-2009, 08:06 PM
Egg
Default Types of lizard

I want a Lizard. I really do, I think they're so cute <3

I just don't know what to get.

I was thinking of getting a Crested gecko, but the price puts me off. If you want something besides greeny-brown, you have to pay quite a bit.

I like colours, like leopard geckos, but I want something I can handle, as well, and apparently leopard geckos don't like being handled (I read that somewhere, correct me if I'm wrong.)

I'd also like something that doesn't HAVE to be fed live food. I don't mind crickets and things, but I'd prefer not to have to have live foods in my room.

I'm going to spend a lot of time away at school during the day (8am-4pm ish) so I think something nocturnal would be a good idea.

So basically, I would like something colourful-ish, handleable, not too big -- 1ft max, and isn't too expencive (or the setup wouldn't be too expencive. I want to spend majority of money on either the animal OR the terrarium. about £150 max for everything.) and preferably (but not necessarily) not entirely fed on live food and nocturnal.

If anything like that exists, that's great, but I am aware they are VERY specific criteria so it doesn't have to be ALL of these things, but they are just the things I'd like in a lizard.

Thanks for any help.
Pippo xx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2009, 10:15 PM
Ultra Citizen

Leopard geckos are fine with handling once they get fully grown, quite calm and they dont get stressed by it at all, but as hatchlings they are not really handleable at all
Old 04-08-2009, 10:39 PM
Premier Member

TBH keeping a lizard isnt cheap, so dont let the price of a crested gecko put you off.
You can pick them up for about £50 - £60 for a normal morph.
I would recommend a crestie for you as they are friendly, easy to care for, lovely looking, can be fed on dry foods and are nocturnal.

either that or a leopard gecko, they can be handled... how much depending on the lizard itself.

You 'can' get a crestie and setup for about £150...
Its down to budgeting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2009, 02:06 AM
Super Citizen

What's this I hear about feeding cresties exclusively on CGD? Is there any downside to this?
Old 05-08-2009, 08:33 AM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter612 View Post
What's this I hear about feeding cresties exclusively on CGD? Is there any downside to this?
No dowside, only thing you may find is a crested gecko fed only on cgd may be slightly smaller than one fed on livefood also.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:55 AM
Super Citizen

Thanks for the response. Would it be best to one that is already eating only CGD or are they easy to get feeding on it exclusively? I've been thinking about getting a crestie for some time now but I'm not sure about live feeders, I'm in a long distance relationship and I have to save up a lot of money to get to America, so owning a snake for me is great because I only have to feed it on mice once a week so it doesn't break my bank.

I'm not sure if this is selfish of me though to get a crestie and feed it only on CGD, I know about the general care of cresties but I'm not sure where to even begin my approach on getting one and feeding it exclusively on CGD.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:12 PM
Premier Citizen

I have a crestie hun he is delightful. Here he is my little Icky.

I feed on CGD just make sure you get a good one as the Komodo stuff gets alot of complaints as it not as tasty. I do keep mine on live as well as CGD and I agree he is a bigger boy feeding the live but there is alot of goodness in the CGD for them so its best to feed both I think.

My brother picked up his crestie for £70.00 the other week but they a little harder to come by where I live for some reason. I think I paid £60.00 for mine worth every pennie though.

Very good starter rep and quite hardy reps as well.

Good luck with whatever you decide, when I bought Icky he was just a plain brown now he is a burnt orange and flame yellow.

Sparkle is a great member on here for CGD recipies to make the CGD more interesting she also well clued up with Cresties.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:51 AM
Egg

Thanks for your help everyone.

Spudsgirl, your crestie is really cute <3 and such pretty colours too.

I think a crested gecko would be best, I'll probably get a crestie. I like that you can feed them on CGD as well as live food. I probably will get live food for him, I just like that you don't have to have live food.

Thanks.
Old 14-08-2009, 01:38 PM
Ultra Citizen

agree with the guys a crested gecko would be perfect,easy to feed,small,great to handle! search around for prices mate..some ppl over price reptiles so its best to look around! x