Advice for a newbie please? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 05-08-2009, 12:51 PM
Regular
Default Advice for a newbie please?

Hi! I'm considering getting a Royal, so I've been trying to do my research on viv set-up etc... BUT I am having trouble getting my head round heating :/

The first rep shop I spoke to told me a heat mat and thermostat would be fine, the next said I needed a UV strip light, thermostat and red bulb. THEN I tried looking in the internet for advice and am more confused then ever. So basically what I'm asking is; what do you guys recommend?

Cheers in advance for you help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2009, 12:59 PM
Premier Citizen

Try popping this thread on the snake section hun on the forum you will prob get more response I only have 3 corns so cannot advise ya but there lots of experience in the snake section and peeps will help you with ya set up.

Our lad wants a Royal or a Boa to scary for me. I have watched snakes on a plane
Old 05-08-2009, 02:12 PM
Super Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloy View Post
Hi! I'm considering getting a Royal, so I've been trying to do my research on viv set-up etc... BUT I am having trouble getting my head round heating :/

The first rep shop I spoke to told me a heat mat and thermostat would be fine, the next said I needed a UV strip light, thermostat and red bulb. THEN I tried looking in the internet for advice and am more confused then ever. So basically what I'm asking is; what do you guys recommend?

Cheers in advance for you help

Hi: all you need is viv, Habistat, or Microclimate, thermostat, the bulb does not have to be red go for a 60 watt depends on size of viv. Royals are kept at about 25 30 pain in the bum to feed somtimes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2009, 02:32 PM
Regular

Yeah I've heard they can be dodgy feeders. Still gorgeous little beasties though

I've reposted my question on the snake forum too, but thanks for your help!
Old 05-08-2009, 07:56 PM
Ultra Citizen

Don't worry about lighting at all as Royals dont need it. If you go for a wooden viv. then i think youd be better off with a ceramic bulb at one end of the viv attached to a thermostat for heating. Dont forget a guard to fit round the bulb so that the snake cant burn itself. Your other option is to use a plastic Really Useful box with heat mat and thermostat under the box: this is better for hatchlings.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:54 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by erewegoagain View Post
Don't worry about lighting at all as Royals dont need it. If you go for a wooden viv. then i think youd be better off with a ceramic bulb at one end of the viv attached to a thermostat for heating. Dont forget a guard to fit round the bulb so that the snake cant burn itself. Your other option is to use a plastic Really Useful box with heat mat and thermostat under the box: this is better for hatchlings.
This is what i'd of said, make sure that when you get one its eating well, i've got a royal, shes about 3 months old now but shes never taken food on her own im assist feeding her, they can go 2 ways, either eat like pigs or non feeders, but they really are very sweet little snakes.
Hope you get the advice you need, you should get some great advice on here.
3.5.4 corn snakes 2.2 brazillian rainbow boas 1.0 veiled chameleons 0.1.2 tarantula 0.0.1 scorpion 2.5 royal python 0.1 el salvador dwarf boa 0.3.2 geckos 1.0.5 tree frogs 1.0 dog 2 giant african land snails, 1.1 cat, 1.1 rabbits, .1. mouse 0.2 bearded dragon, stick insects, 1.1 kids.