New to Leopard Gecko keeping - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 06-08-2009, 08:38 AM
Question New to Leopard Gecko keeping

Hi I am new to reptile keeping. I have just bought a female Gecko complete with set up. 18" cubed vivarium etc. She has a pale body with dark spots on her head and tail. I am a little worried as she seems a lot thinner than the pictuers of other geckos I have looked at and rarely opens her eyes even in a very dim light. She has just shed ok but doesn't seem to eat a great deal. I am feeding her meal worms the odd wax worm and the correct size crickets for her size. All dusted! The crickets seem to disappear but she leaves the worms alone?

I did buy her for the students at a college, for students with complex learning and behaviour problems, where I work. I read to late about them being nocturnal. Was intrigued by her and have decide to keep her myself.

Only had her a week! Appreciate any advice !

Dek
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2009, 10:44 AM
Premier Citizen
Send a message via MSN to ToxicSiren

First whats her set up like..heat, temps etc? Do you have any pics, as it may help? x

http://specialgeckos.webs.com/

Old 06-08-2009, 05:55 PM
Default New to Leopard Gecko keeping

Hi Will take some photos and send them with the info.
Thanks
Dek
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2009, 06:06 PM
Regular

My gecko turns her nose up at mealworms, waxworms. But she wolfs down locust and crickets. My other geckos eat anything. Some geckos do get off to a slow start (growth wise). Shouldn't be anything to worry about, my girl is the same age as one of my males and he is double her size. I'm sure she will soon start packing on the grams.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:31 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigA View Post
Shouldn't be anything to worry about, my girl is the same age as one of my males and he is double her size. I'm sure she will soon start packing on the grams.
You might be correct; there can indeed be great variation in the growth rates of geckos. However, I really do think that further information is required before such statements can be made; offering reassurances before you are certain of the situation could endanger the leos well-being, especially when the OP has mentioned that the leo isn't opening her eyes, as that is certainly not normal.

OP: as has already been advised, could you provide details of you set-up (temperatures, substrate, decor etc) and pics of the gecko. Do you know how old she is? Or how much she weighs?

Website for all things geckoey
Old 06-08-2009, 07:33 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivine View Post
has mentioned that the leo isn't opening her eyes, as that is certainly not normal.

OP: as has already been advised, could you provide details of you set-up (temperatures, substrate, decor etc) and pics of the gecko. Do you know how old she is? Or how much she weighs?
ditto ~ would also suggest getting her and a poo sample checked by a rep vet ~ although it can take a leo a week or so to settle I would be concerned at her being thinner and not opening eyes and a check up could point to any underlaying causes.
Food wise I wouldn't be concerned at her eating crix but not mealies ~ it all depends on what she was raised/fed on previously

Leopard Gecko and AFT Information, Care sheets, Health, Behaviour and much, much more.

*I'm a short, plump, grey-haired Grandmother ..... NOT a fella*
Understanding Leopard Gecko Behaviour
Research and read before you buy and breed!

Old 06-08-2009, 08:45 PM
Regular

My bad, sorry guys.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:42 PM
Default New to Gecko keeping

Seems I was a bit premature as Gracie has really perked up. She is in a virarium 18" x 18", temperature 80.6 F. I don't think she was being fed properly as she is really looking good now and feeding ok. Not sure how to attach pictures yet.
Cheers
Dek
Old 08-08-2009, 06:55 PM
Ultra Citizen

the temps should be much higher. about 88 degrees. also how old is she. and there is a sticky about posting photos with photobucket at the top of the newbies section.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:00 PM

Will look at the sticky and look at increasing the temp.
Dek