Reptile Forums

Reptile Forums (https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/)
-   Newbie Advice (https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/newbie-advice/)
-   -   Still deciding on a low maintenance exotic pet... (https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/newbie-advice/354163-still-deciding-low-maintenance-exotic.html)

Omera 06-08-2009 02:26 PM

Still deciding on a low maintenance exotic pet...

I'm still in looking for a low maintenance exotic pet to decide on. I haven't actually made any major decisions yet. I thought about sea monkeys even though they're just brine shrimp (I like the way their containers look). I'd like to know if theres anything else that might live in colonies (brine shrimp are 'colony' animals right)?
Ants might escape for all I know, but I'd like some info for them too.
This is hard! Aaaaaaaah!

pymn nice but dim 06-08-2009 03:00 PM

really, sea monkeys?

SNAKEWISPERA 06-08-2009 03:00 PM

A snake?

Omera 06-08-2009 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNAKEWISPERA (Post 4457940)
A snake?

Eh. Owned one before. A corn snake, specifically. Traded it in a pet store for my tarantula who we gave away to a tattooist more recently.

pymn nice but dim 06-08-2009 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omera (Post 4457957)
Eh. Owned one before. A corn snake, specifically. Traded it in a pet store for my tarantula who we gave away to a tattooist more recently.

are you sure you want exotic then if you had trouble before

(not saying you did but if you get bored maybe something less demanding?)

NaomiR 06-08-2009 03:13 PM

what about a praying mantis?

I've got lots of exotic mice but I'm getting the mantids because they look really interesting and different, they don't take up much space and don't need a huge amount of work

Praying mantis for sale

Quiller 06-08-2009 03:46 PM

I'll recommend Leopard Geckos before anyone else does. The fact that Leos are always recommended in response to this kind of question is testimony to their being an ideal pet. Okay, not if you're looking for high octane excitement, but they're (relatively) easy to keep, and full of fun. : victory:

jakk 06-08-2009 04:14 PM

wind up

Omera 06-08-2009 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pymn nice but dim (Post 4458008)
are you sure you want exotic then if you had trouble before

(not saying you did but if you get bored maybe something less demanding?)

The tarantula was given away to a tattooist (he's taking care of it well) because we couldn't always get to a petstore to buy crickets because of transportation issues.
Edit: To clarify, I didn't mean brine shrimp are colony animals. I meant they live in groups. When I think of 'colony' I think of something organized like ants or bees.

howieherp 06-08-2009 11:04 PM

a tamagotchi?