URGENT: Help regarding ceramic heater - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 08-08-2009, 09:19 PM
Exclamation URGENT: Help regarding ceramic heater

hi, i need some urgent help please.

So today i set up my new tank for my brand new baby uromastyx. There is a problem though; the ceramic heating bulb is heating up.

The bulb is running through the correct habistat day/night pulse thermostat which is working (tested with lightbulb once problem arose).

I have checked the conductivity of the bulb and there is definately a current running through it.

All the components appear to be in working order, and i am positive everything has been set up correctly, but the bulb is not even getting warm, even though the thermostat's light is on (not flashing, fully on).

I have never used a thermostat or ceramic bulb before and have become more than a little frustrated by this problem, and as the ceramic heating bulb is the only heat source in the tank, i am worried about not being able to sort out the problem until tomorrow lunch time when the shop opens...

suggesting, advice, solutions and waves of magic wands all required...

thanks

ben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2009, 09:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by benk2009 View Post
hi, i need some urgent help please.

So today i set up my new tank for my brand new baby uromastyx. There is a problem though; the ceramic heating bulb is heating up.

The bulb is running through the correct habistat day/night pulse thermostat which is working (tested with lightbulb once problem arose).

I have checked the conductivity of the bulb and there is definately a current running through it.

All the components appear to be in working order, and i am positive everything has been set up correctly, but the bulb is not even getting warm, even though the thermostat's light is on (not flashing, fully on).

I have never used a thermostat or ceramic bulb before and have become more than a little frustrated by this problem, and as the ceramic heating bulb is the only heat source in the tank, i am worried about not being able to sort out the problem until tomorrow lunch time when the shop opens...

suggesting, advice, solutions and waves of magic wands all required...

thanks

ben
how do you know there is current going through the bulb.....did you just check the reistance and if so...what was it.
If your pulse stat is ok.....has to be the ceramic.....have you checked the fuse for the ceramic heater ?
I take it ..it is a ceramic heater and not a heat lamp?
Also,can't you just plug the ceramic into a socket.....by passing the stat to see if it works then?
paul

Last edited by elliot ness; 08-08-2009 at 09:54 PM..
Old 08-08-2009, 11:07 PM

right, sorted it...

i ended up swapping the light fittings with another tank, and everything began to work immediately....

it seems that the new light fitting wasn't compatable with the ceramic heat bulb...

thanks for the input though...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2009, 11:13 PM
Gold Star Member

I assume it's a screw type ceramic holder? If so and it wasn't working it's mostly likely the contacts inside the holder. All you need to do is gently prise them outwards with a screwdriver then screw the bulb back in. Should start working then.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:13 PM
Banned

just glad you got it sorted mate