Old 10-08-2009, 12:22 AM
RFUK Premium Membership

We have oddly/marvellously green ones at Gorey Castle here in Jersey

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2009, 09:40 AM
Egg

You guys are being very helpfull
Ok I got the cardboard sorted, But where do I get baby roaches, maggots, small crickets or waxworms from, There is an exotic petshop a couple of miles away, should I go there,

What about permanent housing for it, what equipment do I need?

Whats the EPS?

Thanks

Paul
Old 10-08-2009, 12:39 PM
Premier Member
Send a message via MSN to AuntyLizard Send a message via Skype™ to AuntyLizard

I would try it on some small crickets should be able to get them from local rep shop. Ask them for advise too as they may well be able to help you more as they are on the spot.

I dont know much about these lizards but, from what you describe I would so for maybe small/medium crickets.

Liz

It's good friends that walk beside you through the good times and carry you through the bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2009, 12:47 PM
Super Citizen

EPS, i just looked on wiki, and the only thing i found was that its a place in northern france.
im not very helpful tbQh lol.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:12 PM
Super Citizen
Send a message via MSN to oobernoob

At the bottom is a link to a care sheet on the 'Eyed Lizard'. Might give you an idea as to what specific requirements your new companion has - "scone please butler"

I am not too sure about the UVB requirements of these small lizards, but UVB lighting is a special tube lighting that is easily installed into most vivariums, it is essentially a strip light that has 'special' rays emitting from it that allow the lizard to utilise the calcium in it's diet. It gives vitamin D3 (what everyone else gets from natural sunlight) and without it the bones do not get the calcium they need as any ingested calcium cannot be...utilised.

Your local reptile shop should be able to get you crickets and/or roaches. They should also be able to get you some calcium powder, and some multivitamin powder, 'Nutrobal' is the brand i use.

A heat mat (depending on enclosure size, approximately 5-25), running from a thermostat (an on/off stat specifically for heat mats, approx 20-40) will keep the temperatures you want in your chosen enclosure. The probe goes to the warm end and the heat gradient works itself out going towards the cooler end of the enclosure.

Now, enclosure wise, personally i would go for a RUB (Really Useful Box), but if the strip lighting for the UVB is needed, then you may run into some issues using a RUB.
You can always build yourself a vivarium from 1.8cm thick MDF, they are very simple to build, and a local glass merchants will cut and smooth the glass for you for hardly anything; avoid big companies for this, they charge the earth!
Alternatively, have a look on the classifieds section of this site and you will most likely find something more than suitable for not a lot at all, possibly with equipment included!

Well, good luck, and to reptile keeping!

Links:
Care sheet - Eyed Lizards - Care in captivity
Site for equipment & food - https://www.livefoods.co.uk/index.php
RUB's (cheap from Staples) - Go Shopping - Really Useful Boxes - Full Range
Equipment classifieds on RFUK - Equipment Classifieds - Reptile Forums UK

"Sit Vis Vobiscum
"
Old 10-08-2009, 02:58 PM
Banned
Reviews: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockneypaul View Post
You guys are being very helpfull
Ok I got the cardboard sorted, But where do I get baby roaches, maggots, small crickets or waxworms from, There is an exotic petshop a couple of miles away, should I go there,

What about permanent housing for it, what equipment do I need?

Whats the EPS?

Thanks

Paul

Hiya, i would follow some of the advise and links that have been given.
EPS is european protected speices, it means there illegal to keep,buy breed and so on.

but this isnt normal circumstances

with regaurds to food ive often found these lizards prefer more vivid coloured prey, plus your better off beeing asmuch wild insects as possiable for now so there gut flora can adjust to crickets and such.

you shoudl easily find grasshoppers and worms around to feed them on, just dont collect them near pesticide sprayed areas.

a ceramic is best for these and they LOVE to bask in the sun and a 10% uv is best as they guys need all the D3 they can get due to the speed of the motablizim
Old 10-08-2009, 06:07 PM

Hi, I have been looking over this forum for a while, and thought i could be of some help on this particular thread, so finally decided to join.
Im not quite sure what you have here, or how to keep it, but my friend Gary over at the north wales reptile and raptor sanctuary definately will, and can either take in your stray lizard, or if you wish, give you some great info on how to keep it healthy.
his contact details can be found here:
NorthWales Raptor and Reptile Sanctuary

hope that helps,

best regards,

Rick.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:25 PM
Ultra Citizen

How lucky to get a free lizard that may well grow up into a real beauty!

Congrats!
Originally Posted by Scarpa View Post
If your snake has a penchant for fish and chips though you're a goner
Old 10-08-2009, 09:46 PM
Egg

Thanks Peeps.
Obernoob great place for me to start, I have sorted a tank and some slate a branch and reptile bedding (for a better word).
The actuall exoticpetshop was closed today, but a more general one had the essential but basic items.

Wildlifewarrior
I think the slate will do for now it does hold the heat.
I have put Lenny (kids named it) on the kitchen window sill will that do for now or is it essential that I get the UV lamp now and do I need a heated floor mat??
I can get worms but grass hoppers in warrington haha. Anyway he looks to small for grass hoppers, will the exotic shop do them and as regards all the food do I just drop them in the tank and let them run about???

Hellcat
If things get tight I will ring them up..

Bluesboo.

I hope it dont get to big. Haha

Thanks again chaps
Old 10-08-2009, 10:04 PM
Regular

It would be best to get a heat mat and UV light as keeping the tank next to a window in direct sunlight could cause the tank to heat up to a high temperature and make the little guy ill!
0.0.1 Gold Fish
Tropical Fish