Urgent Help needed - Page 3 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 10-08-2009, 10:46 PM
Banned
Reviews: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockneypaul View Post

Wildlifewarrior
I think the slate will do for now it does hold the heat.
I have put Lenny (kids named it) on the kitchen window sill will that do for now or is it essential that I get the UV lamp now and do I need a heated floor mat??
I can get worms but grass hoppers in warrington haha. Anyway he looks to small for grass hoppers, will the exotic shop do them and as regards all the food do I just drop them in the tank and let them run about???
Slate can get REALLY hot and burn these guys...google heat rock effects on reptiles...it can cause similar porblems

Its not essential at the minute, but he will need full uv at some point, these lizards will bask in the sun for hours.
a heat mat isnt much use for these, they love basking in the sun and heat so you need to rasie the ambient temps and this cant be done with a heatmat. a ceramic heater or red bulb will work fine though.

woodlice will do fine as food instead, but you really dont want to put them stright onto captive bred insects so soon. dust the food you need them with a calcium supplement and just add the food in the enclosure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2009, 11:33 PM
Ultra Citizen

I've not kept muralis but have kept Lacerta (Zootoca) vivipara our native and closely related common lizard.
All these little guys love moths and spiders. If you have a look around the outside of you house windows after dark (turn the lights on inside) you will find all the live food you will need. Just catch thebugs in a little pot and drop them in to the viv for the lizard to catch.

Natrix
Old 11-08-2009, 06:25 PM
Egg

I went to Andy's Aquatics today and they were very helpful, I got some crickets, I didn't know you could get them so small. haha.

I got some calcium powder and dusted them and put a few in so lets see what happens.

He has buried himself to the bottom of the tank under the bedding, I assume that is because he is scared. So am I best to leave him to surface, and find the crickets himself.

where is best to store the rest of the live crickets and how often do i feed him and how much

thanks

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2009, 11:53 AM
Thumbs down

It looks like a cross between a snake and a newt lol but sorry dont know wat it is
Old 12-08-2009, 05:42 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockneypaul View Post
I went to Andy's Aquatics today and they were very helpful, I got some crickets, I didn't know you could get them so small. haha.

I got some calcium powder and dusted them and put a few in so lets see what happens.

He has buried himself to the bottom of the tank under the bedding, I assume that is because he is scared. So am I best to leave him to surface, and find the crickets himself.

where is best to store the rest of the live crickets and how often do i feed him and how much

thanks

Paul
Just leave the crickets in the tub somewhere warm (room temp) and out of direct sunlight. If you want the crickets to last longer you can get little tanks designed for them and a bug feed, most reptile places do them. Alternatively just put bits of veg in for the crickets to feed on.

With regards to feeding, feed a few crickets (3-4) every other day. Give him a chance to eat them and then remove any left over ones. If you leave crickets in there they can bite the lizard while he is asleep.

Out of interest what bedding are you using? As some types of bedding are not suitable and if ingested while the lizard is eating can cause impaction which can lead to the lizards death. Not wanting to scare you or anything!
0.0.1 Gold Fish
Tropical Fish
Old 12-08-2009, 07:31 PM
Egg

Hey strchrstph
Its Carefresh bedding for all small animals and reptiles.
I bought it in a panic as they had nothing else and it was urgent, being a sunday and all etc.
It says hypo allerginic and stuff
Old 12-08-2009, 11:28 PM
Regular

I wouldn't recommend using that, its the kind of thing you would use for hamsters etc. I found this website which offers some care advise on some related species and it says you can apply them to wall lizards: Captive Care Sheet
0.0.1 Gold Fish
Tropical Fish