Urgent Help needed - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 09-08-2009, 07:26 PM
Egg
Default Urgent Help needed

Hi Guys

A bit strange, but, I just came back from France (fishing, It was hot and there were lizards running about everywher,to london by coach yesterday (saturday), and unloaded all my kit, Rod bag, tent etc.
It was put in my Dads Garage. This morning I loaded my car up ( a golf convertible) and drove from London to Warrington in cheshire with the roof down.
after I arrived I unloaded my car and put the roof up (by hand not electric). Whilst doing this a lizard ran from between the creases of the roof and on to the top of the unfolded roof. It was running about the roof and I thought I had better capture it I was worried it might get eaten or something it was VERY small no more than 2 inches.

Well theres the back ground, I dont know what to do know, I dont mind keeping it if that is what is needed, but I dont want it to die, its not his fault.
Now this is the bit that confuses me.
I read that we have a lizard called the common lizard in th UK but it doesn't seem to look like it but as it seems to be a baby, It might look like the picture on the net.

Urgent please help I need to make a decision whether to just let it out or try to accomodate it.

Thanks

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2009, 07:28 PM
Gold Star Member

pictures will help people determine what lizard species it is and they will be able to advise you of the best action to take x

Leopard Geckos - 5.10.0 - Lance, Thor, Gonzo, Magnus, Blaze, Emmi, Elektra, Faith, Tarene, Kenco, Digit, Harmony, Eryn, Daisy, Aine,
Bearded Dragons - 3.0.0- Dave, Tilly, Mylo
Oliver's Mummy
Old 09-08-2009, 07:59 PM
Egg
Default Is this ok

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2009, 08:36 PM
Super Citizen
Send a message via MSN to oobernoob

Not sure what it is exactly, species wise, but if it's in that tub, maybe put a half toilet roll tube or two, along with some paper for flooring. An empty jar lid with some water in too would be good. After that, put a lid on it, if you are willing to sacrifice a tub, put some holes in the top of the lid for air, if not, leave it slightly ajar, looks like a steep tub so it shouldn't escape.
Leave it in a dark warm area of the house for now until someone gives you some better information, these current temps we're having will suffice for now.

So, to simplify:

Lid with holes
Kitchen paper, newspaper as flooring
Half toilet roll tubes x2, maybe 3
Cleaned out jar lid/milk bottle lid with water in it
Leave in dark warm area of house

Good luck

"Sit Vis Vobiscum
"

Last edited by oobernoob; 09-08-2009 at 08:40 PM..
Old 09-08-2009, 10:34 PM
Egg
Default Thanks

I will do this straight away,
More information as soon as posible from anyone please.

Thanks

Paul
Old 09-08-2009, 10:46 PM
Egg

Okay
Lid Ajar
Milk bottle lid with water
Kitchen roll for the floor
Got no Toilet roll,Trying to source.
Now trying to thinl of some where warm and dark

What about food??

Thanks

Paul
Old 09-08-2009, 10:54 PM
Forum Citizen

If no toilet roll then a small cardboard box with a hole cut in,or a peice of card 'tented' so he can hide underneath. He may be too stressed to take food but you could offer baby roaches, maggots, small crickets or waxworms as an emergency measure.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:54 PM
RFUK Premium Membership

Looks like a shiny little Wall lizard, Podarcis muralis.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:01 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockneypaul View Post
It's not got it's adult colours yet and babies can be a bit variable but what you have got there is a common wall lizard Podarcis muralis.
It's not a British native and shouldn't be released into the UK (not good for the lizard and illegal for you)
I don't think you will find any care sheets for them but they are a reasonably hardy species and would have the same requirements as the bigger lacertids. Try looking up care sheets for eyed lizards, Balken green lizards and green lizards.

Natrix
Old 09-08-2009, 11:31 PM
Banned
Reviews: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrix View Post
It's not got it's adult colours yet and babies can be a bit variable but what you have got there is a common wall lizard Podarcis muralis.
It's not a British native and shouldn't be released into the UK (not good for the lizard and illegal for you)
I don't think you will find any care sheets for them but they are a reasonably hardy species and would have the same requirements as the bigger lacertids. Try looking up care sheets for eyed lizards, Balken green lizards and green lizards.

Natrix
I agree with natrix.
These are also on the EPS i believe.

With reguards to keeping and housing them, they are extremely hardy and simple to keep

I used to catch,keep,rear and even breed these as a kid in france.

sorry its a crappy picture, its very old and only first ones i found to scan in, here some of the babies i bred years ago