Leopard Gecko Behaviour! - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 10-08-2009, 12:57 AM
Hatchling
Default Leopard Gecko Behaviour!

Hi,

iv had my geckos a month now, and im realising new behaviours...
i have a exo terra night glo bulb which i put on to see them in the night for a bit of time. iv noticed that they become so much more active with it on..
They climb the background, and move all over the viv but look very well and happy, and seem to explore.... when i turn it off however, in an instant they go into their hides straight away.... and dont come out!

can any1 tell me why this is? the only reason i dont keep the light on is because it is above the heatmat, which means the heat becomes to high so i cant keep it on all night evan tho the temp in the viv would be fine....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2009, 02:05 AM
Oh God - not her AGAIN

Leos are crepuscular / nocturnal. This means that although they come out at night they actually prefer (in my experience) evening and morning when it is not pitch black. You could leave the light on all night (although it is not necessary) if you wanted to IF you have your heat mat or bulb on a thermostat which you should have. The probe should be placed on the substrate over the heatmat - it should be anyway. As I'm sure you know it is not really the air temperature that matters but the floor temperature - thats why the stat probe and thermometer go there.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:29 PM
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jools View Post
Leos are crepuscular / nocturnal. This means that although they come out at night they actually prefer (in my experience) evening and morning when it is not pitch black. You could leave the light on all night (although it is not necessary) if you wanted to IF you have your heat mat or bulb on a thermostat which you should have. The probe should be placed on the substrate over the heatmat - it should be anyway. As I'm sure you know it is not really the air temperature that matters but the floor temperature - thats why the stat probe and thermometer go there.

Yeh, i think im going to try that... i have 2 bulb in my tank.... one at either end.. one of the bulbs is a normal very low hear bulb with no uv etc... and the other is the Night glo..... i have 2 timers, what would you reccomend i shud do ...... for example have the day bulb on from 10.00 - 18.00 , then the night glo on frim 18.00 - 00.00 ???

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2009, 12:50 AM
Oh God - not her AGAIN

That all seems very complicated lol. You don't really need any bulb for a Leo at all. A heatmat on a thermostat set to 88-90f is enough. If you do want to use a bulb just for viewing at night then use the night-glo and just turn it on when you are in the room. It is more natural for them to have darkness at night.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:51 AM
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jools View Post
That all seems very complicated lol. You don't really need any bulb for a Leo at all. A heatmat on a thermostat set to 88-90f is enough. If you do want to use a bulb just for viewing at night then use the night-glo and just turn it on when you are in the room. It is more natural for them to have darkness at night.

Thanks for the help!